Return Pump

jsr

Return Pumps (Poll)   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I really like Eheims and used one for quite a while. The downside is that they do not have a pressure rated pump that can handle the head pressure of a chiller and still deliver good flow. Therefore, I used a Japanese motored Iwaki RLT. It is quiet (unlike many of the American motored Iwaki's), reliable, and works perfectly for my tank.

Quiet one pumps are rated at below 45db! That's not very quiet.

While the Eheim pumps use less electricity thus producing less heat, they cost more and don't have listings for head pressure effects.

I use MagDrive. Primarily because they were the first one recommended to me. Also because they're cheap, they have higher flow-rate models than the others, they tell you the gph at different elevations, and they keep my tank at 76*F(by luck, making the job easy for my heater).

Thanks everyone. I am looking for a new pump to replace my Rio 2500 (very bad!). I do have an Ocean Runner 3500 (900GPH) connected to my skimmer and it seems quiet and cool. Plus it only uses 65W comapared to a Mag 12's 110W. I have also heard that Mag pumps run really hot and my temp is already around 80 in the summer. Any other opinions out there?

You know, I have heard alot of folks say the new RIO pumps are great. I know the older ones had some issues, and I can verify that, but the new ones seem to be much better. They are cheap and move a decent amount of water. The older ones I have dont have a ground plug but the newer ones do. I have also noticed the new pumps run quiet, no rattle at all. I have a 2500 for my return pump but just wanted a little more flow through the sump. I was looking for about 1000GPH and no RIO can do that.

I have been using Rio's and Seios for many years because I used to live down the street from them when I was in SoCal. They came to a couple of our club meetings and helped me out quite a bit from their local store. I have since moved away from CA, and from the Seio's, but I still like the Rio pumps for the low power usage and cheap price. Their Hyperflow pumps are pretty nice as well, but not as quiet IME. I like to think of the Rio's as the top of the line of lower end pumps. :wacko: