Diving Comal River

My wife, dive buddy, a few others and I are diving the Comal River on Saturday, March 16th. I may be diving there this Saturday, March 9th, too (depending on the rain). Any are welcome to join us. For divers who haven't dove in awhile or feel rusty, it's an excellent refresher dive. It's basically a 2 hour drift dive in clear, spring-fed water that averages 4-8 feet deep (can be as shallow as 2' and as deep as 20'). The temperature of the water is fairly consistent around 70F, because it's spring fed. That's cold in the summer, but it feels nice now. If we get in around 2 PM, we get out when the air temperature is in the 70s and the sun is shining. There's also treasure to be found from the toobers (not as much right now).

If you want to join us, PM me and I'll get you details. The park where we normally enter is Prince Solms in New Braunfels or just upstream of there.

7,000 lbs of beer can trashure

Reads like you contributed smile.png

Mondays in the summer are great. A dive buddy found an engagement ring, once. Lots of shades and the occasional jewelry. I always tend to find socks for some reason. doh.gif

I've snorkeled there where the falls and the tube shoot are. It always has divers there eagerly snatching up tubers glasses, cameras, money, jewelry etc that get knocked off in the turbulent part of the water. I only find trash and sunglasses that are either women's (gross, cooties) or scratched up and missing a lens. Haha

It's still fun though and I love snorkeling in the San Marcos River and all spring fed rivers with lots of pretty fish and green plants.

I haven't dove in probably 7 years, it would be nice to get back into it if I had the equipment

About how much is it to rent the gear?

You're welcome to join us. You can rent the gear and I'll provide you a cylinder of air (might be a purple one my wife isn't using, but you like purple-red, right? grin.png ).

Scubaland charges about $50-$60 for a full set of diving gear, including the wet suit. I think that includes 1 cylinder of air. Gloves and hood push it to the $60 side. I don't think that includes snorkel gear.

Really need to fork over the money and get certified...

http://www.groupon.com/deals/deep-blue-scuba-austin-2?pt=aUTi1rTAAAADyPkT_VKmsXxz6pych5TVm

$155 gets you certified or $299 for a couple. I thought about getting this to get my girlfriend certified, but she's still not in to being under so much water and not being able to get out asap if needed.

Really need to fork over the money and get certified...

http://www.groupon.com/deals/deep-blue-scuba-austin-2?pt=aUTi1rTAAAADyPkT_VKmsXxz6pych5TVm

$155 gets you certified or $299 for a couple. I thought about getting this to get my girlfriend certified, but she's still not in to being under so much water and not being able to get out asap if needed.

You can get out of the Comal ASAP. Just stand up.

I was thinking about doing that groupon. Had anyone ever and can you give review? I've heard about the others, curious about the groupon one though.

I've only been in Deep Blue a couple of times and talked to their main instructor once. They seem like good people. They use ANDI certification, which is more of a regional (East Coast) thing. I don't know how ANDI plays world-wide. I think ANDI training is more stringent and possibly better than PADI, but PADI is universally known and recognized (and PADI knows it).

Archived