Sea hare or any GHA busting help?

Does anyone have a sea hare that I can borrow for a couple of weeks? Or anything to help getting rid of hair algae? I've been battling the stuff for months and it is only getting worse. I try pulling the junk out by hand but it only grows back thicker and longer every time. I have a lawnmower blenny, but he won't eat the problem areas. My emerald crab seems useless and it doesn't appear that my hermits even notice the stuff. I would like to get it under control before I transfer all my corals over to my new 50 gallon and have to battle it on a larger scale. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arg, I know that GHA can be frustrating. I don't think any sort of CUC including a sea hare is going to help you if it grows back rapidly. You need to figure out where the PO4 is coming from and then get that under control. Are you running GFO? Here is a thread from my experience last year, maybe something in it will help you: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/23804-my-battle-with-gha-a-story-of-success/

One thing to keep in mind with those sea hares is that if they decide to crawl somewhere in your rock work and die you might have a big problem on your hands if your tank is heavily stocked. It's for this reason that I no longer use them as I cannot simply remove my rockscape to get at anything that doesn't make it.

-brett

I'm also having GHA issues now. Does yours look like this?

Aquarium_SeaHare3_23FEB2013_zps8914ab54.

That’s a picture of my Sea Hare ignoring the GHA. So far, it hasn’t helped at all. Even though I initially placed it on the GHA rock, it spends its time on the glass and back. At this rate, I can loan it to you in a year or two.

I’ve since taken out that big rock covered with GHA, so it’s only a minor problem in my tank right now (was mostly on that rock). The rock was one of three that I ‘killed’ about 6 months ago due to dino. After cooking in vinegar, rinsing, bleaching in the sun, rinsing, etc. for 3-4 months I put them back in. Apparently there was still dead crap in them as they have been growing GHA and dino since putting them back in the tank. I’m ready to pull them back out and try chemical warfare to remove the phosphates in them. It’s a shame, because I like the rocks.

I don't know where my nutrients are coming from, I literally don't feed anything to the tank. I just have corals, anemones, a clam, the hermits, snails, and the lawnmower blenny. I have one gulf hermit, but he only chills out on my frag rack not doing anything. I guess I could get some GFO and a canister, not sure what nutrients it'll take out though without feeding anything heavy to the tank.

Elephant slugs came from Hydro Innovations.

I've never had them bother my zoas in there, and I don't have any SPS for them to munch on.

If you went with just one I don't think you would have any overpopulation issues.

I have like 5 of them in the cube. All the rock is clean, plenty of hair algae on the powerheads where they can't reach.

So, it's possible that the PO4 is coming from your rocks. Where did your source them? What are your NO3 levels? GFO sounds like the panacea here, take it slow though. I really pissed off my SPS by being too aggressive with quantity and flow rate.

I don't know where my nutrients are coming from, I literally don't feed anything to the tank. I just have corals, anemones, a clam, the hermits, snails, and the lawnmower blenny. I have one gulf hermit, but he only chills out on my frag rack not doing anything. I guess I could get some GFO and a canister, not sure what nutrients it'll take out though without feeding anything heavy to the tank.

I've got plenty of canisters and GFO for you too. Just come talk to daddy, I'll get you squared away.

Bummer about the GHA Jon. That blue digi I got from you those weeks ago that had dead spots and gha has fully re encrusted over all of its dead portions and has shed off all of the GHA that was on it.

I have ONE rock in my tank that grows GHA like mad but its not spreading. Just growing on the one rock.

What I do, is fill a cup with 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide (using 8 mL peroxide now, tank is 60 gal total vol). I turn off all my pumps and will suck up the mixture in a syringe and just start hitting the hair algae slowly and directly with it. I do that every day or two for a few weeks now and it has killed off most of it and its not growing back. May be worth a shot

I'm also running a gfo reactor too.

Once GHA gets a chance to root and start growing, is simply lowering phosphates enough? Or can it continue to grow from stored phosphates like cyano does?

Edited by Bpb

A good ol' yellow foxface will usually mow GHA as well as bryopsis better than any other animal that I've found.

I do agree that tackling the nutrient problem is important, but honestly, even if you get the system at zero PO4 and NO3 it could take months for the algae to dissipate.

Secondly, if you do the GFO route, work up the GFO amount over a few months. If you just add a few cups and drop the PO4 to zero, you'll shock the crap out of the system, and most likely kill a bunch of coral in the process.