I had so many great responses and recommendations from my recent posting about salt that I'm trying it with test kits. I need to buy a new one. I've been using the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Multi Test Kit for alkalinity (KH), calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg). It's been ok and fairly close to what RCA tells me when I take my water there. Except they don't test for Mg. I've read and heard mixed reviews for Red Sea and API (like this one here), but I think I've only heard good things about Salifert (KH, Ca, Mg). Is that right, or do I have those backwards?

I purchased a Hanna Phosphate Checker and had a bad experience, but I might be willing to give their KH one as try.

Anyone love or hate their test kits?

I have Salifert tests, and have had no issues with them (when I actually do test, which is rare).

I have Hanna Alk (as well as Phosphate) test if you would like to borrow it for your experiments.

I might take you up on that to see if my Hanna Phosphate is working. I rarely test, too, but when I do I tend to be in emergency mode and would like reliable results. smile.png

I love my hanna alk tester. Liquid reagent is a thing of beauty. There's some debate about it being off by a percentage http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/8/review, so I adjust my readings by an amount in my tracking spreadsheet, just so I can monitor the range potential.

I use the red sea Mg titrating kit, and have found it to be very easy to use (although the math at the end is a little squirrely).

Archived