Varying Results

Jakedoza

I don't think Hanna makes a Nitrate checker though. I switched over to Elos when I started up my sulfur denitrator and was pleased with the consistency of the results. By the way, you could just take all three vials from your API tests and mix them together to get an average result! tongue.png

I can't think of the last time I checked for nitrate. A couple of comparative studies, one by DFWMAS and another on Advanced Aquarist have shown API compares as well if not better with other test kits. I'm curious if you did the tests immediately after a water change or if the reagents were stored differently or if one or two are older?

I could probably use a new kit. Two kits I acquired from various equipment buys and one I purchased probably 4 yes ago.. I did do a water change on this tank, but I did it two daysp ago. I did add a bunch of dry "live rock" and wanted to make sure I didn't get an ammonia spike before adding any livestock. I'm taking some water to RCA to test as well.. I'll post results.

-Jake

Sent from my Android4.2 CM10.1 S3 Device

So.. The kit I have had for about 4 years tested the same as the one at RCA (the middle one). My nitrates are waaay up. Another water change is in the future. I also added some macro algae to the tank. Plants love nitrates..

-Jake

Sent from my Android4.2 CM10.1 S3 Device

I could probably use a new kit. Two kits I acquired from various equipment buys and one I purchased probably 4 yes ago.. I did do a water change on this tank, but I did it two daysp ago. I did add a bunch of dry "live rock" and wanted to make sure I didn't get an ammonia spike before adding any livestock. I'm taking some water to RCA to test as well.. I'll post results. -Jake Sent from my Android4.2 CM10.1 S3 Device

Your reagent is busted. Most reagents top out at two years (if they're liquid based). Powders can last another few years.

Archived