Help IDing nem

ajweeks7989

All parameters are checking out fine. It was sold to me as a seabae, but I thought it was a GBTA. It split shortly after buying and it has since started to look that way. It previously was more bublous. Any ideas on what may be wrong and what I could do for it?

Too much light or too warm to quickly would be my guess. In my experience unless they're huge, BTA's tend to split when they are mad or stressed.

Stable tank params and you're going to need to feed them. Since they expelled all of their zooxanthellae they must have food for energy as they won't get it from the light until they recover.

My lights a 150W MH. And I spot feed mysis every other day. Tank parameters have been stable. Im assuming I didnt acclimate long enough and enduced the split. Tank has been running since October and I have LPS and SPS that is thriving.

I was able to get a bleached BTA to recover by putting it with other BTAs. I believe that the bleached BTA's zooxanthellae are repopulated by what it picks up from the tank water, so other BTA's can serve as a source. Definitely target feed it weekly (very small pieces of food, not big chunks) until its color returns.

My vote is a bleached BTA also. Unlike Jesteps experiences I've had unpredictable splits with my BTAs. Especially in a tank with many clones some may keep splitting and stay small while other clones may not split and get much larger. Follow Mike's advice for getting it to recover (although normally I don't bother feeding BTAs). Don't expect miracles though, recovery can differ dramatically in a group of BTA clones and there are definitely differences in the different variants, see one of my experiences in this thread: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/22733-well-i-just-dont-know/?hl=timfish#entry163871

And in addition this winter I had a Teal and Pinktip BTA bleach out when a tank dropped to 70 degrees but the Brown BTAs seemed to be fine.

Archived