Cracked Bottom

Niko's Reef

Not sure if this is the proper posting area for this question? I've been looking for a 200+gal tank. I've found 1, but unfortunetly it had a cracked bottom that has been fixed. The cracks have been bonded and new bottom has been laid using Lexan. It still has livestock, rock, and sand in it and is holding water. Supposedly been leak free for over a year. I'm just worried about down the line it not holding up, because I don't know anything about cracks being repaired. Just wondering if anyone has any input before I get too involved.

Lexan is polycarbonate which is not typically an acceptable material for a fish tank. It's brittle and doesn't bond well even to other acrylics or itself let alone glass. It's normally used for nalgene bottles and sunglasses. Acrylic fish tanks are usually made of very high quality cell cast acrylic, which is quite a bit different than lexan. Even so, it's nearly impossible to adequately bond any acrylic to glass and I wouldn't risk 200 gallons with any patch job. That's enough water to pretty much condemn part of a house if it goes when you're out of town. If you have the intention and ability of completely replacing the bottom panel with a new pane of glass which is probably possible then go for it.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. Too big of a risk. I don't know much about tank cracks, but I didn't think Lexan seemed right. Jestep, Do you know anywhere/anyone who could do it for me if I did go this route?

Archived