How many LEDs

Stephen

Looking to build my own LED fixture for my pico tank. How many 3 watt LEDs would you guys use for a tank 16" x 8" x 8"? I'd like to keep whatever I want in there. I was thinking 14, half royal blue and 10k.

No not really. I looked and looked and the only ones that were any good where the meanwhells. There are the China made ones that are dimmable but are not waterproof. You can probably make a utility box for them and to keep the water out. The ones that are waterproof are usually constant power. Alliexpress have a lot and try looking at ebay. I purchased a Chinese made driver, constant current, and only paid $25. Its a 12V-5A and has the power to run 5 10watt LEDs.

I decided to go with this kit http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aquarium-24--LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html'>http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/Aquarium-24--LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html. This way i can have more options. Plus, I have the same kit on my 40 and can always add extras to my current setup

group buy led has 3puck leds two royal blue with one neutral white and they also have a color 3 led. IMO I would do one of each and driver it with 2 meanwell (check out powergate they sell them for $24 each) or if you want to whole sunset and dim each one use a DIMM4 controler.

I've been happy with dimmable buckpucs from LEDsupply.com (but the LEDs are cheaper from RapidLED.com). I would use more LEDs colors though after seeing the corals pop with the 400nm LEDs on BuildMyLED.com "Super Actinic" and rereading Dana Riddles articles on florescing pigments on AdvancedAquarist.com. At the very least now I would use an equal number of 400nm, 450nm and 470nm and maybe cyan as well. Another option you have is to use one foot fixtures from BuildMyLED.com, a one foot "Custom Reef" and a one foot "Super Actinic" would light up that tank and give you the option of dimming either/or.

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea with all the colors, I'm going to look into getting some different blues..The fixtures at buildmyled are nice, but they would cost me an arm and a leg. Def not worth it for me. Looks like a great product though.

Archived