Algae question

bige

So I had I nitrates and phoshates. Got a biopellet reactor and nitrates fell to 0 and phoshates are at 0.01 per Hanna. But I still have tons of pink cotton candy algae. So I remove the algae every chance I get but it returns. I feed once a week a few pellets that are all consumed. So if algae is consuming the nutrients and that is why I test zero, how do I free up those nutrients so I can remove them?

I think he's referring to pink cotton candy algae. I think turbo snails will eat it. I'm not sure how one would get 100% of it out of a tank. It may be one of those algaes that can grow in a low or no nutrient environment.

Victoly that is a good point.

Jestep I can't find info on it being a low nutrient algae although hunter suggested it may be. He said they had it in a tank but it just went away. I will try turbo snails, I read they eat it.

You guys make good points but now I'm curious about my original question, what if you test zero or low nitrates/ phoshates, how would you free the nutrients up? Have algae be consumed then do frequent water changes? Or would the snail eating it free the nutrients up? The biopellets are extremely efficient at least on test kits.

Keep in mind that "nutrients" are largely fish waste, or uneaten food (unlikely in your case). That means the nutrients are occuring first and foremost in the tank proper... where the fish are... where the algae is... before they are making their way down to your filtration system. The way to "free up," so to speak, the nutrients is to get rid of the algae. And yes, biopellets don't really consume all the phosphate, so adding GFO is pretty standard on a bacterially driven reef system.

I had the same algae and it was all over one of the tanks at aquadome for a while. It grows like mad!! I just kept pulling the stuff out everytime I saw it and it eventually went away. I dont mess with gfo or any of those reactors and I feed very heavy so it may not have much to do with nutrients but I could be mistaken. I read somewhere that if you squirt peroxide on it thru a syringe it will kill it but i never got that far with it so I cant say if it works or not. Maby the guys at the dome could tell you since theirs is gone now too