Converting Saltwater Tank to Freshwater

Niko's Reef

Have a 75g rimless tank that I've had sitting around for awhile. The previous owner used it as a saltwater tank. I had planned on using it for that as well, but I decided not to waste the $ on another saltwater tank that I'm just going to want to upgrade. I've been looking at 200+ gals for the purpose of having a sting ray. So I was wondering if I could still use this as a freshwater tank, since it was previously used as a saltwater tank. I wanted to use the eshops sump that I have and some really nice skimmer that I can't remember the name at the moment. The bag/sponges on the filter are new. Not using the same pump and everything else I want to replace.

Yes, you can use a saltwater tank for a freshwater setup... Having been used as saltwater will not hurt anything freshwater as long as you have cleaned it up. If you have specific questions about it, you can pm me. I did FW for 25 years before getting into SW.

Yeah, if you plan to use the same sand/gravel, that is what you need to wash and rinse the most so it gets the salt and other stuff out of it. Also depending on what FW fish you want to keep, you may or may not want to use some of the same equipment or sand/gravel... Once you have your, plan post here or PM me and I or someone else can chime in on what you need to worry about or change in your plan. The type of FW fish will change your plans significantly. for example, African Cichlids verse a planted tank verse discus, etc... Those are all very different setups...

Robb, that's what I was wondering. Since it was an established saltwater tank, it has stuff that I will have to clean off the back. I didn't know if that was ok. I'll let it soak water and vinegar for at least a few days. Woods, thanks for the recommendations. I know there is a lot to choose from, so I want something exotic. I've done the African Cichlids before, so I want to go another route. The planted tank is interesting to me. I'll be PMimg you once I get it going to pick your brain.

One word of advice - decide what fish before getting it wet. At least decide on the main fish (centerpiece fish) then work out from there. Makes planning easier-- then decide live plants or not. So the plants can survive at the temps/hardness the fish want also!

I was wondering if I would be able to have only certain species with the plants. Definitely something I will have to look into b4 setting it up. Have seen tanks planted b4, but havent done any research on it. Going to start researching it. Figured I would hold off on bombarding everyone with a lot of questions until I'm closer. Thanks for the advice Nwehrman.

No problem - most fish you are ok with - or are adaptable. Some eat certain types - some prefer higher temps...hence choose you freshwater fish first then plan the plants around that.

I have freshwater Discus, shrimp, and betta's, kribs and killifish and a community -- so I've been there. Let me know if you want more info on any of these types...

My current salt tank is almost a year old and the larger bug is already whispering in my ear...need more room than you have in the 28jbj for ....

Lol. I hear you about the larger tank. That's why I'm converting this 1 into a freshwater. I have my seahorse/coral tank that is 20g, and my 29g biocube that has fish/coral, and a 75g that has fish/coral. I started to think about the cost of setting up another saltwater and my plans to add at least a 200g tank, and it didn't make sense finacally.

I'm really interested in the Discus. See them a lot of time in for sale on craigslist. Do you have that all in the same tank? I was just looking at the Lenver's build and I like it.

I have had plants and discus - it's more work but possible. Lenver's tank is great! There is a lot of people in Austin with Discus - just don't get them from the LFS's in town. I have 21 adults and a few juveniles. They actually do great in our Austin hard water... For growing/living. They do need RO to get the eggs to hatch.

If you decide to do discus - let me know. I can get you in touch of the Austin group of us.

Also there will be a large discus show in Austin - NADA (North American Discus Association) June 2014

I'm going the discus route. Showed my wife last night, and she liked them. Need to research the plant part more. Contacted a company about getting the scratches on the aquarium removed today. Hopefully can get that going really soon. Been debating if I wanted to remove them myself, or have it done. I'm too busy/lazy to do it myself. Also, been trying to decide which set of lights that I wanted to use. I decided to go with some LED's that I got on here. Next step will be painting the stand. I'll be getting in touch with you/others for more imput on all this. Are you trying to get rid of some?

I may - I'm setting up a breeding central system ...almost set up - have to drill 4 more tanks. Then I can pair off the rest of mine.

We also order from Central Ohio Discus. Mike Beals - good guy. http://www.centralohiodiscus.com/Current%20Stock.htm Or Discus Hans - great guy also http://discusfishstore.com/catalog/index.php

All mine except one are from both of these guys.

If your doing plants - get 4" or larger Discus....smaller requires way more work.

Getting closer on the equipment that I need for it. Just got a controller for the LED's. All I need now is a return pump. Might start working on trying to remove the scratches tomorrow. Just decided to do a board for SB, so hopefully that won't take up too much of my time. Also, bought 2 MP40's for my next build.