Question about tank size

KimP

Couple questions. I see the ecopico marketed as 5 gal some places, including ecoxotic's website and on other sites it's listed as 5.1 gal. Is this tank acceptable?

My other question is about aio tanks. Is the area in the back considered a sump? When I look at them online the dimensions are given but rarely is it directly stated what the display alone measures. And lastly, when a tank is advertised as a 4 gallon, is that total volume or just the display area?

Thanks!

I'm not making the rules, but after doing the math and looking at what's available from a bunch of manufacturers I would suggest saying that up to 6 gallons is acceptable. This covers all the 5.whatever tanks, as well as discrepancy between advertised and actual volume. IMO up to a 6 gallon tank is a 5 gallon tank and gives enough buffer to prevent potential issues. It's not like anyone is going to be running them full to the brim anyways. No idea on the AIO chamber ruling though.

I'm not making the rules, but after doing the math and looking at what's available from a bunch of manufacturers I would suggest saying that up to 6 gallons is acceptable. This covers all the 5.whatever tanks, as well as discrepancy between advertised and actual volume. IMO up to a 6 gallon tank is a 5 gallon tank and gives enough buffer to prevent potential issues. It's not like anyone is going to be running them full to the brim anyways. No idea on the AIO chamber ruling though.

I'd like to stay with the 5 gallon rule. After all I bought my tank based that it was under 5 gallons. Just like the 5.whatever gallons there are many 4.whatever gallons out there. The AIO total volume is what is counted I believe is what was agree on. so if you get a 5 gallon DT with a 1 gallon back/hidden area thats really a 6 gallon tank.

Also from the other thread I think it was stated that we will use manufacturer displayed sizes.

I would think manufacturer specs would be acceptable in case people have already ordered tanks. I have noticed that some are definitely off a little.

the ecopico is in excess of 5 gallons, so it is not acceptable (sadly).

With the EcoPico’s small footprint (10”x10”x12”) and only containing 5.1 gallons

Read more: http://www.ecoxotic.com/eco-pico.html#ixzz2EEDCrX7r

There are many many options of tanks 5 gallons and below luckily

I am contradicting myself in the other thread in manufacturer specs. But the ecopico is actually under 5 gallons because the measurements are the outside dimensions, otherwise it would be 5.2 gallons. Even if it were only using 1/8" thick glass, which it's not, it would be under 4.9 gallons.

This is the discrepancy I was referring to above in actual vs stated volume. It goes the other way for some tanks as well where the volume is more than advertised.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with whatever everyone agrees with, but an argument can be made for going off dimensions of manufacturer specs. Only reason I brought it up above is that almost every tank in the 4.8 - 5.2 gallon range is actually not the volume that the manufacturer suggests and these are the ones that would potentially cause an argument.

If you guys can settle on a specific tank, I bet I can arrange a discounted group-buy through one of our sponsors. If you all have the exact same setup then the contest will truly be about design and livestock choices.

Let me know if you want to pursue this.

If you guys can settle on a specific tank, I bet I can arrange a discounted group-buy through one of our sponsors. If you all have the exact same setup then the contest will truly be about design and livestock choices.

I decided on a custom tank that I will build myself, I like individuality...but that is just me.

I decided on a custom tank that I will build myself, I like individuality...but that is just me.

It was discussed earlier in the other thread but I think we had settled on anything below 5 gallons to allow people variety.

also many have already either bought tanks or ordered parts for certain tanks already.

The rules thread is posted. based on this thread and other similar questions, it was decided using manufacturer's specs 5 gallons or under. which is the same as under 6 gallons. if the mfgr says its 5 gallons and it is actually 5.5 then fine its not going to hold the whole 5.5 anyway due to rocks etc. if the actual is less than what is listed then that may be something you want to account for. its less about the amount of water in the tank than what you make of all that open space. decisions decisions decisions

Archived