Monti on the wall

PeeperKeeper

I've seen the plating montipora on the back wall of tanks and I think that looks cool. Does that usually just happen because it was growing on a rock near the wall and it decided to stick to the wall, or would you actually glue a piece of it to the wall on purpose? I have a triangular piece of it attached to a flat disc. Would it look weird if I stuck it to the back wall (it's Warp Speed) or would it grow out in a natural shape?

What are the drawbacks to doing this? One I can imagine is that it would shade corals growing under it, but I guess that's the case whether it's on a rock or the wall.

Basically I'm looking for opinions on where to place this piece. I'm trying to switch over from having a lot of soft coral to having more SPS, so I've been replacing rocks that are covered with GSP, zoos, mushrooms, etc. with bare live rock. As it is now, the right side of my tank has a big section of the bare rock and the left side still has softies. So I was thinking of putting this on the back wall to the left where the softies won't be in the way, but it won't take up a bunch of real estate where I want to place other SPS. I won't always have it "segregated" like this, but just trying not to get my new rocks covered in GSP again at this point.

Here's a visual of my tank as it is now:

The rock with the fuzzy mushrooms on it that is the highest point on the left side is relatively small, so if I decide to put it on the wall, I would move that rock and put it just below and to the right of where you see that upper left power head.

Great! Thanks for the tips. I love the magnet idea! I will just glue the disc to a magnet and stick it that way. I didn't like the idea of permanently gluing to the glass anyway, so my next question was going to be what to use. Can a bare magnet be put in a tank, or will it rust? I don't know what they are made of. I guess I could just buy a glass cleaner and use that.

+ 1 to victoly.

I tried the cheap lowes/homedepot magnet and they just don't hold and they will start to rust.

Got a rock available that I posted recently for $10 on http://www.austinree...ck/#entry182470

I've been putting a monti on one side then zoas on the other for a unique look

Archived