Upgrading from 90g to 150g reef

ggooden

I am going to be upgrading from a 90 to 150 reef currently I have 4 Blue Chromis 3 False Clown Fish 1 Bangai Cardinal 2 Yellow tail Damsels 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Engineer Goby 1 Pink Diamond Back Goby 9 red legged crabs 1 hermit crab 1 brittle star 1 sand sifter star, 7 asst snails, and Queen Conch, blue Xenia I was wandering What other item would be a good addition to a 150 and I also have to canister a fluval and a Marineland both rated for 150g do I need a sump??? i also have a hang on back Reef Octopus Skimmer

If you are only doing a FOWLR tank, I would imagine you are fine with the equipment you have. I don't know much about FOWLR systems but maybe someone who does can chime in.

For a reef system, I would highly recommend a sump for the 150g tank and you would pretty much have to buy all new equipment (larger skimmer, larger return pump, lighting upgrade?, larger circulation pumps?, etc...). That's going to cost some coin. Usually the tank itself is is just a small cost of a tank upgrade when you factor in more live rock and new equipment sized appropriately for your water volume.

You have any specs on your lights you have now and possibly what type of system you want to keep (i.e. FOWLR, fish and softies, some LPS, some SPS)?

-Ty

I like polyps and mushroom like coral that need moderate to low light, I have 2 reef capable 48 inch long led lights and I want a couple of coral pieces of the type I mentioned earlier any thing else would be a little hard with out upgrading my lighting system thanks for replying BtW

Edited by ggooden

I would highly recommend drilling it and placing a sump/fuge. You'll be much happier in the long run. You'd need a return pump obviously.

Aside from livestock requirements, lighting won't be an issue yet. More rock would be needed regardless of what you stock; more water volume needs more filtration capacity IMO. Canisters can work but, again IMO, are not the best way. A new skimmer is a must. That HOB won't pull near enough for 150g.

I'm running reef systems without filters/sumps and would say if you can add a sump and or refugium you are much better off. Even just a basic sump design will increase both your volume and more importantly your surface area ratio for gas exchange.

+1 for the sump. You don't need one to be successful, but it helps. IMO LR and canister filters do not mesh well together.

I also have a hang on back Reef Octopus Skimmer

Any skimmer is better than no skimmer. No HOB is going to be rated for 150g with medium stock levels, but it will still pull stuff out. You won't need an upgrade immediately, but you will definately see elevated chemistry levels.