looking for LED links

esacjack

Trying to do some research before I begin the lighting wishlist process. Can anyone recommend a good site, sticky, or thread that may have some guidance for mid sized tanks? 46 Gal Bowfront, I was thinking of getting one of the EcoXotic Panorama 36" setups, but now I'm having my doubts as to whether this will be enough lighting. Tank dimensions are 36" x 16" x 20". Looking to do LPS/Softies and maybe a few SPS.

This might help you: http://www.advanceda...12/10/aafeature

If you don't feel like reading the entire article refer to Figure 4 when researching LED fixtures. I was really surprised to learn how important the "actinic" spectrum is to our corals. This is what you should be looking for in your next LED fixture.

-brett

@bio Yes, youre seeing it correctly, its an aluminum lip. I havent seen the edge mount for the BMLED lights. Unless they just lay across the top of the tank? I guess I should add that my tank has a plastic crossbar I'm trying to keep from melting :D

Thanks BBMarlin! I'm giving the article a good once or twice over.

@bio Yes, youre seeing it correctly, its an aluminum lip. I havent seen the edge mount for the BMLED lights. Unless they just lay across the top of the tank? I guess I should add that my tank has a plastic crossbar I'm trying to keep from melting biggrin.png

Thanks BBMarlin! I'm giving the article a good once or twice over.

BMLED needs to get better pics of the mounting brackets but yes they are identical to the ecoexotic feet.

On top of this BMLED is so nice that I can hold the light in my hand at anytime with it running 24/7 its just slightly warmer than ambient, I think no more than 10-15 degrees if that.

I made the offer to another member, I'll make the same to you. If you want to see BMLED ontop of my tank in 2 weeks when the build finishes your welcome to stop by for an in person view.

@BBMarlin : wow! That was a lot of information to take in. Started to get a little deep for me when he dove into the mathematical equations. But if I'm seeing this correctly, it appears we should be trying to incorporate a cyan/green spectrum in our LED's as well?

Bio: That'd be awesome! I figure I still have about a month before my tank is ready for the actual lighting. Still working out the sump and figuring out my RO station. So that would be a good time for me to start making hard decisions.

I think your best bet is trying to find a fixture that is as full spectrum as possible starting with the violet wave length. There are not many out there that I've been able to find that are affordable, over time prices will come down.

• 2 months later...

This may be late but like (Bio)3 said you should go by BuildMyLED.com's shop. They have a 36" tank set up with thier edge mount brackets that let's you rotate the light fixture. Their "Super Actinic" also has equal numbers of 400nm, 450nm and 470nm so it has plenty of uv/violet to make flourescent pigments pop.

I'm still on the hunt Tim! I'm actually thinking about the AI Sol's or the Kessil A350W/A350. I like the kessils for a few reasons, while there are other aspects Im not fond of. Im very partial to their power and shimmer. I really like the effect of single points of light (even several) over a broad range of light. I dislike the fact they cannot be dimmed via the Apex, or any other means aside from the potentiometer on the base unit. I like the AI Sol because of some of the effects, but I don't see the same shimmer I do with the kessil. I think I read somewhere the AI Sol's cannot be controlled via Apex. (sigh) so many choices.. I also have been giving thought to the maxspect r420r (razor)....

Archived