Tang dorsal fin receding

sifuentes31

I have a yellow tang that is swimming around looking healthy for weeks and eating like a pig. Just this past week i noticed his sailfin was receding. Any suggestions on why this is happening. He gets along with everybody in the tank especially the Bi-color Angel.

post-2319-0-92154600-1351516906_thumb.jp

If you're positive nobody is picking on him, it could be fin rot. But even with fin rot, it generally starts with some kind of physical abuse. Or he could have tried to squeeze somewhere tight and torn a fin himself, followed by infection due to bacteria created by poor water quality. You could do water changes to keep the water quality pristine while he heals, and eliminate further infection. Or, if you see it keep getting worse, try an antibacterial medication, like the Dr. G's anti-bacterial food (which you can use in your DT).

Fish are surprisingly resilient- my little maroon has grown back entire fins after mommy maroon picked on him. Just keep the tang eating, and reduce stresses as much as possible, and he should be able to heal.

I've seen something similar over the years and I'm not sure what it is. It does not appear to be bacterial as there are none of the typical indicators, red streaks or red blotches with white edges and the fish is not acting listless. The dorsal fin is usually the most affected but all of the fins will can show tissue loss. I've seen just one tang affested and I once saw a whole tank full show symptoms but it appears to only affect Zebrasome sp. If you can qt it that would be best while researching treatment options.

Good luck smile.png

Seen red blotches on a yellow tang... cleared up with a big water change.

Also our little yellow belly blue tang rubbed (?!?!) most of his dorsal fin off, down to bone. We treated the DT wish a small dose of melafix marine and it all came back in a week or two.

Hope that helps...

Edited by offshore

sifuentes31, search "dorsal fin erosion" Opinions tend to think what you are seing is a form of HLLE (head and lateral line erosion). I found this one comment "One species is a common exception to this syndrome's usual manifestation. Yellow tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens) do not appear to be afflicted in the same manner as other fish (Hemdal, 2003). They first tend to lose their vibrancy and lighten in overall color. Then their fins erode, usually beginning with the soft tissue between the dorsal fin's rays. If there is any erosion around the head or down the lateral line, it is usually only minor. This is not, however, the case for all species of the genus Zebrasoma. I have witnessed purple (Z. xanthurus), sailfin (Z. veliferum) and brown (Z. scopas) tangs all exhibiting the classic signs of this condition, while every Yellow tang I have seen with MHLLE has always exhibited this atypical symptomology." I will add here that my observations I have seen the typical symptomology of HLLE in Yellow Tangs (Z. flavescens) Purple Tangs (Z. xanthurus) and in Regal Tangs (Paracanthurus hepatis) AND seen the dorsal fin erosion on different specimens in these three species so either HLLE can present the diffferently in different specimans OR we're actually looking at two different diseases or syndromes.

You could treat for a protozoan infection. HLLE is a syndrome so no specific cause is definitively known but protozoans have been implicated as well as water quality issues, dietary insufficeincies, stray electricity and stress. If you do not see an improvement in 30 days I would return the tang to the tank, my reasoning being your DT should be less stressfull than the QT.