BuildMyLED reef spec or custom? And beam angle?

JamesWebb

For those that have looked into it, do you like their reef spectrum or do you recommend building a custom one? I like theirs but thought I'd check with y'all. Also it's for a 20 gallon long so it's only 12 inches deep so I'm thinking a wide beam angle is ideal, 90 degree?

do u use lid on that tank ? my 12gl QT light up w/ 7 cree xpg n xre (cool white/ r blue), it got a decent amout of light to keep them alive and it has a lid too. u might need a bigger set up on ur since it s a DT. mine has been running for months, u r welcome to come checking out to get a idea of what u need...

and since its a shallow tank, i would NOT use any beam angles( optics)...

With BuildMyLED fixtures you must pick one of the optics (30/60/90 degree). For a tank that shallow I would opt for the 90 degree.

its a 20 gallon long all in one tank, it does not have a lid over the display portion of the tank. I'm going to go with the per-configured custom reef spectrum two foot 90 degree beam angle fixture. I'll post some pics up when its all done.

I'm shooting at having it between 6 and 9 inches above the water line but haven't made the brackets yet because I wanted to put it at the optimal height depending on the fixture

They make a mount system to mount them to the top of the tank. if you do this I'd get a 90 lense and you should be fine (run it by nick and tell him what you plant o keep he will make sure your right)

do u use lid on that tank ? my 12gl QT light up w/ 7 cree xpg n xre (cool white/ r blue), it got a decent amout of light to keep them alive and it has a lid too. u might need a bigger set up on ur since it s a DT. mine has been running for months, u r welcome to come checking out to get a idea of what u need...

buildmyLED isnt like the DIY led that we stick under lids. You need to choose an optic with them, they are also more than just the white/blue like typically DIy projects (my biocube included)

Each buildmyled has a minimum of 15 led since thats the smallest size the make. I know nick had a prototype of the new reef spectrum and it was a very nice color output. I'm putting the same spectrum onto my 90 gallon. I'll have a 60 degree lense in mine and then I'll add on another later down the road that is a 30 to punch to anything at the bottom I need.

When coosing mine I sho them an email to their contact link on the site and nick began emailing with me. He will answer any question you have!

He will answer any question. Nice guy. They also have a 72 degree optic too. Available soon. But call the number on their web site and he will answer all your questions. He is compiling a data base with all tank depths to the web site will soon feature these option. Like for my 25" deep tank he recommended the 72 degree optic. But it's not on the web site. But I ordered the 60 and he ordered the 72 and will put it on when it comes in.

I talked to nick a few days ago. He said they have some better "options" coming up so they holding orders. I ordered a 48" on the 21 I think.

Lol waited till the last day to get your free fixture? Crazy! I sent him an email tonight waiting on word back

Well I had been talking to him for awhile, he told me to hold off. I was concerned on time but he said dont worry about that. He's giving me a 72 degree optic that they are waiting on. But yeah, just in time.

I sent them an email. One of their suppliers missed the ship date and delayed everything. Give them an email and nick will explain it to you. I was told later this week is when they should start going out, thats if all suppliers met the deadlines.

I've been in contact with nick. He just flew to cali today for a show and randy just got back from hong kong and is experiencing major jet lag. I just asked if I could pick it up since I was on the southside and they worked with me.

Hi everyone. Sorry for the delays in getting the first orders out the door, but we finally have everything ready to finish the build process! One manufacturer was late, and that caused us to miss our internal build deadlines for you guys. All current fixtures orders will be ready by COB Monday. I will get in touch with everyone and confirm the details. Once you get your fixtures, we are looking forward to your feedback grin.png

Nick

Archived