High Calcium?

Jimbo662

I was doing some testing today on the new tank. All the standard readings are 0. Today was the first time I'd tested calcium and KH. The calcium came up over 500. 26 drops = 520...mine was at 32. I tested twice. With my 28 gal it was always around 440-460. I have started using a different salt too. Could that be the cause? The KH was 11degrees and I don't have the drops for GH.

It can also build up on pumps and in plumping but that would be a ways down the road. High calcium can cause screwy problems with some of the buffering components but as long as you keep an eye on pH and alkalinity and they are acceptable it will most likely come down on it's own. I'm happpy with 380-420 mg/l (I've seen tanks stay around 300-320 and not have problems but I don't reccommend it).

I would double check with a better quality kit like a salifert or a hanna. You're probably in the ballpark, but API tests tend to be touch and go. The Ca is one of the better API tests. The NO3 and PO4 and some of the others are essentially unusable.

500 is probably not the end of the world, but you may end up getting calcium scale on your hard surfaces. It's not impossible to remove but will definitely impede flow through tubes and pumps if enough it is allowed to build up.

Edited by jestep

I'd picked up a sailfin tang and hammer yesterday. The sailfin is doing great. running all over the tank exploring, coming up to the glass when i get near and when he's not gobbling up brine he's picking at some algea. When i got home the hammer looks horrible. each head looks like it's got a white goo over each. I can see a tiny bit of it. My camera battery is dead so i'm waiting for it to get charged so i can get a pick. Could the high calcium be causing that? my little clove colony seems to be doing fine.

Give it time. The slime is normally a reaction to major stress or parameter changes. Was there a large salinity change from one tank to the other and/or did you do a drip acclimation? Assuming there isn't anything in the tank that's going to physically harm it, I would bet it recovers in the next week. If the slime is lose, it may not be a bad idea to lightly blast the slime off with a turkey baster, but don't go too crazy as you don't want to break off any tissue. Mine recover quicker if I remove the slime around the tissue. Otherwise it should get flushed away on its own.

Edited by jestep

there may have been a salinity change...i noticed the bag wanted to float up rather than settle down to the same water level if that makes sense. I dripped for about an hour and a half. I've had my two clowns in the tank for over two weeks and both are very active and eat like pigs. I'd moved my little polyps into the tank about a week ago and they didn't have a negative reaction...they were back open within a couple of hours. i'll try the baster trick. I ordered several of the salifert test kits last night. i'll test again as soon as they arrive.

I'd love to add a clam but read that the tank needs to be established for like 6 mths or so...I just added the first fish 2 1/2 weeks ago.

well...I just got home to check on things. the slime stuff is gone off the hammer...all you can see are the white spiny ridges and no sign of the hammer at all other than some tiny shredded pieces hanging from the side. I've not seen anything at all climbing on it. I've got two clowns, a sailfin tang and the usual CUC. What could be so wrong with the water that could cause something like this?

post-2872-0-03143800-1350429837_thumb.jp

Edited by Jimbo662

I would definitely take a step back right now and let the tank settle out before adding anything further.

What are you using to measure salinity and have you had a LFS or other reefkeeper check you water params?

Edited by jestep

Maybe not bright, but very intense. If the hammer was under different lighting in its previous tank, you probably cooked it. Corals have to be light-acclimated as well as acclimated to other elements, and LED's are deceptive in their intensity - they may not look very bright to the eye, but they put out a lot more PAR. I run MH, so I can't give you good advice on how low to dial down your lights, but I've read enough to know that 50-60% is fairly high for lower-light corals such as euphyllias. (Again, this depends partially on what type of lighting it was under in the tank before yours.)

thanks for that info. i got it at aquadome from the tanks that are about 8" deep...not sure what kind of lighting they have...when i was setting mine i based it on thinking mine were dimmer than the tank it came from...your explanation makes perfect sense.

Well, I found out today what the problem is. The new refractometer I bought last month is a piece of crap!!!! I calibrated it with RO/DI water as soon as I got it. Last night I lost a cardinal that I'd bought on Sunday. I took a water sample into the store this afternoon only to discover my salinity is 1.044!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as I got home I dug my broken refractometer out of the drawer I had thrown it in and guess what????????? It measured the same thing. I even double checked the that the new one was calibrated correctly and retested and got a reading of 1.024. Thank goodness today was the last day to return it...I'll stick with the broken one.

I was leaning towards a salinity problem by your description. Only time I've seen coral completely melt like that was when I had 2 broken hydrometers when I was just starting out and my Sg was up at 1.038. Literally liquefied a frogspawn and a few other corals even after a 1 hour drip acclimation.

That really sucks but it's good that you now know the problem.

Edited by jestep