Question about water management, transfer, mixing

esacjack

I had a few questions for everyone regarding water. How are some of you getting water? From the LHS? RO/DI Machines? If you're filtering/mixing your own water, what transfer methods do you apply? I.e. where and in what do you mix your water in, and how do you get it into the tank?

As I prepare to get my 46 gallon going, and managing the 29g BC and the pico, it seems to make more financial sense to mix my own...Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I use an RODI unit in my garage that is plumbed into my DIY mixing station, two 12 gallon extruded abs containers with lids and bulkheads, linked together with one pump.

I always have 10 gallons of RODI water on hand and when I want I turn the pump on flip some valves and send that water into the next container where I add salt and let the transfer pump start mixing by flipping a few valves. Once the water is done I flip valves again and dump the water into 5 gallon jugs. Since I am only on 29 gallon biocube currently I just carry the jug over with a pump in it and pump it into the tank, I siphon out the water from the tank nothing fancy. I also premix salt water and store it in the 10 jugs I have just for that so I have 50 gallons SW on hand for anything I need.

When I get my new build up and running I'll adjust the mixing station accordingly, probably upgrade to 55 gallon drums to have more water on hand.

I use a Buckeye Field Supply 75GPD Premier system under my sink. I run the output line to a 24g(I think) Rubbermaid tub that I got at Home Deopt, aka BORG. I mix my SW in that with a Maxijet 1200. When I need to transfer it to my DT, I stick a hose on the end of the MJ and pump it into the DT.

IMO a making your own saltwater is the way to go. Its too critical to let someone else do it for you. This is my mixing station I've had for the past year which I like very much:

post-2030-0-65187900-1350187674_thumb.jp

I used 55 gallon containers but this setup could easily be scaled up or down depending on your needs. The only thing I've changed is I've added a second membrane to the RODI doubling capacity to 150 gallons per day and cutting the waste water in half.

wow, nice plumbing! How are you getting the water back to the tank? Are you attaching a hose? or are you routing your plumbing through the wall to the tank?

IMO a making your own saltwater is the way to go. Its too critical to let someone else do it for you. This is my mixing station I've had for the past year which I like very much:

post-2030-0-65187900-1350187674_thumb.jp

I used 55 gallon containers but this setup could easily be scaled up or down depending on your needs. The only thing I've changed is I've added a second membrane to the RODI doubling capacity to 150 gallons per day and cutting the waste water in half.

Archived