Looking for ideas

Robb in Austin

At the top of my 75, I have a bare rock that needs something on it.

It gets a decent amount of flow and lots of light. I know this sounds like a perfect recipe for SPS but I've never had success with SPS. I'm not opposed to trying again but it has to be the right kind. I tend to run nutrient rich, not like Patrick but moreso than the average SPS tank I'm guessing. I've gotten better about my maintenance at least.

Other inhabitants include RBTAs, anthelia, GSP, zoas, rics, frogspawn, hammer, palys, a toadstool, and fish. The GSP, anthelia, and RBTAs are in the top part of the tank where the nekkid rock is and in line of the majority of flow before the NR.

Lemme hear your thoughts ARC!

I'll see about getting a FTS up to show the NR.

post-371-0-60927100-1350006786_thumb.jpg

Hey rob I know you said no sps, but what about a purple monti cap? My tank has had issues galore including but not limited to low magnesium, cyano, gha, aiptasia, and lots of noob mistakes over the past months but my purple monti cap is actually growing faster than my Xenia, gsp, an protopalys. They look awesome to me and have been quite easy to grow. Mine is at the peak point of the rocks about 8" below my t5's

• Like 1

I would start with digi's, monti's, and birdsnest. Most are fine in a higher nutrient lps style tank. Occasionally I get one that's very sensitive, but most are as hardy as lps. Get well established/cultured ones and I don't think you'll have any problem.

Something red sounds nice, despite the RBTA which have moved rearward and are less visible, even though purple is my favorite color. I had success in the past with a monti cap, when everything was in my 58, so I imagine it would work.

I've always wanted a pink birdsnest too.

Any others?

I've kept mushrooms near the top like that, the colors on those were real intense and gorgeous. Caps always do real well, so do some birdsnests although I've had a couple kinda bleach out when they were higher. My neon green birdsnest is the easiest one to keep, almost nothing will kill it and its such an eye catcher when it gets bigger

I have a forest fire digi that's been through 2 tank moves and fallen inside my rock work for a week, you welcome to give it a shot. It has always bounced back nicely. It may be the hardy piece you need. It's fully encrusted over a large plug. I can take a pic later once lights are on. Lmk

• 4 weeks later...