Help setting up an Apex Jr.

SoggyDollar

Hello everybody! Anyone want to help me set up my Apex Jr. I'm using a wireless bridge and have ATT uverse service. I had it all running but continued to have problems accessing remotely. I recently changed from TW to ATT and had to reconfig. In doing so, I tried changing the IP address to the Jr. and now I can't access it at all. Need some help and possibly a factory reset using the Neptune Sys. display unit which I do not have.

I'm in North Austin off Parmer and Mopac. Anybody interested? I have beer. :)

I do have the Unofficial Guide. There was a part that says to assign the apex its own IP address that is outside the range of the router's dynamic range. So I did and rebooted it. Now I can't access it. I assigned it 192.168.1.255. I'm afraid that is an invalid IP address and that is why I can't access it. So I thought resetting it to factory settings is the only fix. I'd rather not have to do that since I've done a lot of programming to it already.

I ATT u-verse that has "2wire" modem and a wireless access point. I'm running MS Windows on my laptop and have a Netgear wireless bridge hooked up to the Apex.

Have you plugged a comp directly in to see if you can access it?

Can borrow my Apex screen if you bring it back in a reasonable time. (not sure if this will help or even be compatible) but you could possibly change the IP with the screen/buttons.

Factory reset will always work if all else fails.

*EDIT* you have a Jr. so i think you already have a screen built in... i swear there is another version beside full apex that needs a possible screen, maybe ac3? I dunno

Are you able to access the router? Sometimes the default LAN address is 192.168.0.1, so you need to figure this out then assign the Apex to the right sub domain. Alternatively, you can run "cmd", then run ipconfig to determine what your computer's LAN settings to learn how your home network is configured. I hope this makes sense, if not, please say so. No question is a stupid one, only the ones not asked :unsure:

I'd log into the router and see if the mac addy of the apex is showing up in the client list. Not the DHCP client list but as a live connection. Could also do "nslookup apex" in shell to see what the ip is. I believe using 255 was not a good idea. Its better to trim the dhcp client list in the router from lower ips. E.g., your gateway IP will be 192.168.0.1 so start your routers DHCP list to start at 192.168.0.4. You will now be able to use 192.168.0.2 or 3 as static ips reserved. You may also be able to use reservations for mac addresses in the router, this would keep your ip from getting dished out to another device when the dhcp lease has expired. I set my apex to 3 and used 2 for my gaming adapter so the router would see both mac addys. That way if there was a problem the router would tell me which one was acting up...was usually the apex :(

Worst case, borrow a display module from someone to manually reset it.

You will however need your subnet mask and other items before you lock the apex down with a hard IP. Personally, until you want to access it via the web (external network), I'd leave DHCP on in the apex and let the router hand out an ip to it. Sure simplifies things till you get all your programming bugs worked out. Again, this is just my .02c

I may take you up on the offer Bio3

Derrick, I went out on a limb when I assigned it 255... I'm going to do what you said when I get it back online. As far as MAC addresses, I've seen those around but wasn't smert enuff to know what they mean and too ignerent to look it up. smile.png

Thanks for all the advice. I tried hooking my laptop directly up to the Apex and no go (BTW, Apex Jr. does not have a screen built in). I think you have to change some setting in a laptop in order for it to speak directly to the Apex without a router. So, I then tried to hook the Apex up to an old router and the computer to the same router. I could see the router had a device attached with the IP address 192.168.1.255 but could not talk to it when I entered the address in the search bar nor would http://apex work. So, unless I can change the IP address in the Apex through a display module, I'll have to do a factory reset. Does anybody know if you can change the IP address through a display module? Can you do a factory reset without a display module?

Thanks for all the advice. I tried hooking my laptop directly up to the Apex and no go (BTW, Apex Jr. does not have a screen built in). I think you have to change some setting in a laptop in order for it to speak directly to the Apex without a router. So, I then tried to hook the Apex up to an old router and the computer to the same router. I could see the router had a device attached with the IP address 192.168.1.255 but could not talk to it when I entered the address in the search bar nor would http://apex work. So, unless I can change the IP address in the Apex through a display module, I'll have to do a factory reset. Does anybody know if you can change the IP address through a display module? Can you do a factory reset without a display module?

I may take you up on the offer Bio X Bio X Bio.

Derrick, I went out on a limb when I assigned it 255... I'm going to do what you said when I get it back online. As far as MAC addresses, I've seen those around but wasn't smert enuff to know what they mean and too ignerent to look it up. smile.png

Offer still stands for you. Just let me know, I can unplug it from my apex and have it ready for you to give it a shot.

I just walked over to my apex and fiddle with the module... off the bat I see a restart inside of the network setup. I clicked it and it restarted my apex, gave me a new ip of 192.168.1.110 when it was 192.168.1.108

it might work for you?

You will need the display to do a manual adjustment of the IP address. Sounds like the ip you used is outside your subnet mask, thats why it wont connect. Your router sees it but it is treating it like an external network machine. Can you ping it in command prompt? Or Telnet into it?

You will need the display to do a manual adjustment of the IP address. Sounds like the ip you used is outside your subnet mask, thats why it wont connect. Your router sees it but it is treating it like an external network machine. Can you ping it in command prompt? Or Telnet into it?

I've heard of these terms "ping" and "telnet" but again am not familiar. Also, I can't do anything until next weekend. I work out of town. How do you "ping" something? I'm great at following instructions and am a quick learner (relatively speaking).

Bio3 , I'll have to look you up when I get back into town. I really appreciate the offer.

depending on the operating system of the computer your using:

Windows 7:

click the windows orb, and in search bar type "cmd", first one to pop up click it, a shell or "terminal" will open. Type this exactly without "": "ping xxx.xxx.x.xxx" where as your xxx is your ip octlets.

XP:

click start, run, then type in "cmd" without the "" and then follow same steps as above once shell is open. If "run" doesnt show up in your start menu, then google "how to show run in start menu xp" rinse repeat...

Mac:

go to your programs list and choose terminal(most likely in tools subsection), been a while since Ive used OSX, then follow same steps once terminal is open

If your on a windows box, inside terminal type: "nslookup http://apex" without the "", hopefully the ip you assigned will show up. Not sure if nslookup works in mac shell or not.

Idk. Not sure if Telnet would work either since its probably a conflict with subnet masks. Really need to just plug a display in and turn DHCP back on and let the router do all the work till everything else is working. Also, a gaming adapter would be ideal as well, this will rule out like ip's being dished out by devices trying to be the dhcp ruler...Could try DDoS it on the lan LMAO! That might cause it to reboot to factory settings. I know it sure will BSOD a residential machine in about half a second flat LOL

yeah, that's the issue. the mask is bad. I had the same problem when i switched from TWC to uverse. the ip should be 192.168.1.XXX vs 192.168.0.XXX. The gateway will probably need to be switched to 192.168.1.254 as well, if yours is anything like mine.

I second victs response, Change AT&T's router internal ip address to 192.168.0.1. Restart it, then manually change your computers address to 192.168.0.5. (windows XP log off and log back on, 7 u r ok) you then should be able to see it.

And do whatever you want. There is not harm in leaving the configuartion that way.

The subnet mask 99.9% of the time will be 255.255.255.0. You shouldn't worry about it.

-M

I'm getting a head ache reading my own thread and all the acronyms. I didn't know one had to be a software engineering to run a tank controller... turned.gif

I do understand what is being said as far as setting the Apex back to DHCP. I believe it has been established this would require a display module. Right? Then "shrink" the router's DHCP range but keep it below 192.168.1.255. Then I assign the Apex an I.P. outside of that range but below ...255. Right so far? Then port forward (which I'll have some more questions, stay tuned).

Just don't play with parts you don't understand and it moves smooth. It took me 3 hours from opening apex to having it all mounted/wired/program then another hour to setup my sig and now i don't do anything but check my phone to manipulate the tank.