Sand dollars

jaggedfire

Wow, I didnt expect the high desire. I have plenty for anyone who would like a few. I can meet in S. Austin after work tomorrow or during lunch off Mopac and Soutwest Parkway. Or if anyone lives in Kyle/Buda area, I can meet down south. I have them in some sand from the coast right now, but they wont have much to feed on just that. They will need some care and finer substrate, but being smaller, would be great for 'fuges.

Patrick,

My girls kept finding them and were super excited. We did keep many of the sand clams that would could. Many (maybe all) made it home. Only one sand dollar didnt make it.

Interestingly, I did catch 2 pipefish in the floating macro. The small shiners were swarming in the shallows also. I caught many small (<1") shrimp. Unfortunately, we stopped by the Texas State Aquarium before heading back. They were all alive as I kept a bubbler in the bucket. After leaving the TSA, we stopped by the bay and topped off the bucket with "fresh" water. Three hours later all shrimp and fish were dead when we got home. pH was 7.8, Ammonia was .5! and salinity was 1.031! with all else within norms (0'nite, 0'nate). I am guessing the bay water was the culprit as they survived overnight in the bucket with less water (~1.5 gallons).

I was most bummed about the pipefish as I have wanted one for many moons.

Lessons learned:

1. Take 5+ gallons RO water and dry salt for mixing on site/over night
  2. Bay water =/= Gulf water
  3. Keep two containers, one for fish and swimming inverts, another for sand dwellers
  4. Take something for ammonia control on the transit.

On another note, temperature wasnt an issue in the back of the car. I was expecting this to be the culprit, not NH3.