I need an electrician!

Headless_donkey

How big is the main breaker? (amps?) I seriously doubt you are anywhere near the main breaker capacity in usuage so there must be something wired wrong somewhere or you are pulling too much current. There is always a possibility your main breaker is going bad. They are rated for 10 zillion years, but lemons are out there.

Are there any symptoms?

I replace three main breakers and three outlet where the fish tanks are located. The electrician said the old breakers are old model and was the reason for the trip. Just a thought, to replace outlet and breakers.

-Joseph

It is really not that hard to replace the main breaker James. Just pop the box cover off, pull the main breaker, and plug a new on in. There is no way you are pulling that much current, so it has to be a bad circuit, a bad main breaker, or maybe moisture in the box (is it exposed to weather?). Is it still doing it?

Smart move Dave!...My husband has to do the same thing with our breaker. It's an older home so therefore, we had to re-wire and update the outlets. This parts were ancient, he gets upset at the fact that some of this older homes can ever go thru inspection---- fire hazardous.

Well keep in mind much of the wiring was considered safe at the time. I have actually seen a house with porcelain knob and tube style wiring. Talk about terrifying. If your house was built in the 50's or before chances are there just wasn't enough electical demand to justify wiring the house will a decent (by todays standards) electrical system. My old house had six circuits and no main breaker and I had to rewire the entire house to get it decent.

My house was built in '83. I really think the main breaker is bad or one leg is overloaded. If one leg is overloaded then the subpanel can be slightly rewired. I don't feel comfortable doing either. It only happens when the washer, dryer, a/c, and all the tanks are going. I think I found someone to help. I will have them come take a look.

Is the Dryer electric? If so it should be pulling off both legs of the main box. That might be an issue if they put them both on the same side. You would think you would have noticed it before now though. My guess is still the main breaker since not much else has changed. I know you redid your tank setup in some way, but I cannot imagine you added that much equipment to make a noticable difference. How it works out for you James!