Blue reef chromis in reef tank

Mark V

Hello

I've being lookin at smaller fish in planning out a 55 to 75 gallon reef setup. I found the basic fish I like like Royal Gamma True Perc Clowns and Yellow prawn Goby. However I'm really stuck on finding a good blue fish that isn't an aggressive damsel or a Tang.

I heard a Starki Damsel could work and if I wanted to risk it it would be the last fish to add, but I heard a blue reef Chromis might work.

I heard you should keep them in a school but they are agressive towards each other and they a bit big at 5 inches so I'm not l sure if a group of them would overload a smaller tank like this.

What's everyone's opinion on blue reef chromis or your experience with them? What about Starki damsels?

I've had three blue-green reef chromis for over two years in my tank. They're all still < 3" and school together. A few comments about them:

• individually they are not aggressive, but as a school they are - they can even give my tangs a challenge
  • i originally had 4 but lost one due to them picking on him. I tried to introduce a replacement and they never accepted it (bullied it so I passed it on to another member)
  • many people have a hard time keeping chromis alive but they have been one of my easiest and longest lived tank members

I'd avoid damsels in general, as they can become very territorial and nearly impossible to catch in a tank that size. I'm not really familiar with Starki damsels though

• Like 1

I spelled the Damsel's name wrong here is te short description from live aquaria. It's supposed to less aggressive though that isn't saying much :).

The Starcki Damsel, also known as the Starck’s Demoiselle, comes from the reefs of the Coral Sea.

The Chromis I am talking about isnt the blue green chromis. It's a dark blue color and they are suppose to grow around 5 inches.

Chromis cyaneus is the scientific name

Edited by Mark V

+1 Mike I have also kept the blue green and I think they are an awesome tank choice... Alot of other chromis/damsels get aggressive when they get larger and can cause chaos and are impossible to get out without tearing the tank apart.... I love my school of blue greens I had up to 6 at one time and they were so fun to watch...

Reef chromis are one of my favorite fish, but I'm currently down to 1 and I wont try to add any more again. bangaii cardinals are a great fish, but I would make sure to only buy captive bred at this point. Their wild populations have been pretty well decimated.

I had 10 blue reef chromis in my 180 for about 2 years before I moved and sold the school. I never had a problem with them being aggressive or anything. They'll eat anything you put into the tank and are generally hardy. They do like colder water and often swim in the column.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just left Aquadome after a lunch visit and they have in 4 of the dark blue reef chromis, $14.99ea. Great little fish and already in a nice school for anyone interested. I'll be getting mine once the new tank is up.