How to fix internal leak??

Teresa

So I just noticed that my biocube is not operating correctly. The water is no longer being forced through all three chambers. Instead, there is a leak inside the last chamber where water from the display slides right back into the back. Can I fix this with reefpoxy? If I fix this leak, will another one start up elsewhere? Is there underwater sealant that is reef safe? I've see stuff at home depot before that says it cures underwater - I just don't know if that is safe. Ideas?

I have that two part epoxy stick. It comes in a round tube. When you look at the cross section of the epoxy, you see the tan inner core of the one part epoxy with a surrounding green part of the epoxy. You make a clean cut with the amount that you estimate is required.

I start kneeling it like bread dough out of the water. You will feel a slight temperature rise. This indicates that the hardner and cement are beginning to do their chemistry. The tube is at least 12" long and normally goes bad before it is used up. Cut off a piece of what I have to repair your leak. If tank is empty, bring it here to be repaired.

One thing about us reefers, we can "get it done".

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Well, my fear was well-founded: I sealed the obvious leak and it's still not going through the back properly. Will I have to reseal the entire back panel? I'm not sure how to do that . . .

I would assume you need to drain and clean and fully seal to correct the problem. The epoxy should have helped some, but I would not expect it to fully seal it.

Are the partitions acrylic and the tank glass? If so, that's a difficult situation to seal effectively. Otherwise, if both are acrylic get some weldon. It will permanently bond the acrylic together. There's several types of varying viscosity. I would probably opt for a thicker one in a case like this in case there are chips or a wider gap to seal.

Do you have any idea how it was originally attached? There's virtually no reliable method of gluing acrylic to glass and I'm assuming that a good brand like this wouldn't do that. My nano cube had more or less a plastic lining in the back that the chambers were attached to. If this is the case, some weldon would be my recommendation.

Yeah, it has a plastic lining. I'm thinking of just taking it all out. I've got a canister filter, plus the clowns and anemones could always use more room. I think this will be my project for the day :)

Archived