Purigen: Experiences or just snake oil

jaggedfire

I understand that this product interferes with the natural nitrification process (macro, rock and dsb replacement/compliment), But I have have seen several people lately bring up Purigen and its use. SeaChem states that 1L would potentially work for 4 yrs in my 120Gal tank. Of course that depends on load and etc, but does it work? WELL?

I love the stuff. I think it's why I was able to keep my seahorse tank water so clean and all corals happy in spite of all that food I dumped in every day. I use it in bare qt and it definitely helped keep the water clean. No doubt there. Plus it's super easy to recharge so I guess it could last forever. It turns brown when it's full and needs a recharge. I've only used the kind that comes in it's own bag. I've heard the loose stuff can get everywhere.

I used it on my 10-gallon nano way back in the day. I felt like it was useful because when I removed it, things went bad. But, no data to support it as I was not as industrious about testing my water as I am now.

Personally, I would stick to GFO as it is tried and proven. My bro still uses purigen in his nano with great results, as his phophate usually tests around 0.050 with just purigen as a removal source of phosphates. He would use GFO but no sump and he doesn't want to run an external reactor. Purigen you can just put in a bag and toss in one of his back chambers. I believe you can also recharge it with bleach but may not be worth the hassle.

-Ty

I think it works about as well as good carbon (lignite or superior), but not much better. With that being said it is rechargeable so it's a good deal if you don't mind the process to recharge it. But it costs a premium. I would do a apples to apples comparison of what your current carbon usage is and see if it's worth the effort. With that tank size I would get double so you have have half of it ready to go when you need to switch out and don't need to wait to recharge it.