Can dino kill?

cyrus

I'm in the middle of a dino algae battle and my sand sifting star and emerald crab turned up dead? Water quality is perfect with cal a little low around 500 but acceptable. Also I had a two fire fish disappear less than 5 days after I got them but that's an unrelated factor. Any advice on why my inverts are kicking it?

yes. All my tangs died, all my snails died. Any sand sifter, cleaners, or grazers can die from this stuff. Theres two types of dino, a toxic kind thats photosynthetic and then the non toxic kind thats easier to get rid of. Ive heard that chittons eat them. I ordered one so see what happens. Once this stuff is in your DT its very hard to get rid of. Ive found that Carbon is the best thing to fight it, but has to be changed every couple days. Im lazy and forget to change it for a week...

I try to keep my calcium at 550, 500 isn't low its just not optimal. Not doing carbon yet just blackouts and peroxide dosing. I'll add carbon soon, also does the uv sterilization help fight this?

Sorry I don't really have any additional suggestions for the dino but regarding the calcium I would never try to push it up to 550 mg/l. I'm quite happy with 380 - 420. I'm curiuous what your pH and alkalinity are.

I defeated my dinos by letting them get nearly out of control, then going lights out for 7 days. Wrapped the tank in blankets. All while heavily skimming. And I now rarely do water changes for fear of them coming back. Tank is doing great though! Nice and stable.

Hmmm, I might do a tank break down. I need to research this more. I''ve never run into this crap before. It hasn't spread past the sand bed but I'm not willing to wait and see.

You didn't have coral in the tank for that 7 day blackout did you?

I blacked my tank out for 14 days....the stuff appeared to be gone....3 days later it came back with a vengeance! Thats why I tore my tank down and soaked my rock in vinegar....I still have it now though. I think its seasonal.

Yes I had coral in the tank, some got super pissed, others seemed to not even notice. I think it has to do with water changes fueling them. Hence why I don't do many if at all. Going on 3 months right now and parameters are stable. Coral and fish look great. Though I have elevated phosphates it is just readable. Setting up a 20 long fuge with different macro in the coming month to take care of that.

Yup and once you get it its very difficult to get rid of. Water changes fuel it. It eats the trace elements. Lights out, no water changes, change carbon every 3 days, run GFO 24-7, a filter sock, blow it off with a turkey baster and scoop it out with a net or let it go in your filter sock, rinse repeat......

Well that makes sense. I was dosing trace elements, mag/iodine and started 2 part when it kicked up. Plus running mh 15 hours daily (yes I know that's overkill critics). Everything was growing like crazy til now. I'll try adding additional flow to, read that helps.

I just was notified I had dino in my tank but luckily it's all confined to the sump and it's the non-toxic kind because I have a yellow banded brittle sea serpent in there and he's doing ok. I already run GAC and GFO so for me I think it's cleaning out my skimmer cup and return pump more often and now I'm going to also run a carbon bag over my sump inlets and see if that all helps out. Since it's my sump it's doesn't get as much light as my DT but I think it's due to the very low flow rate I have in there. Keep us updated on the fight.

Well I'm bringing the light back slowly. There is still a layer of brown on the sand bed that grows and dies at night. I don't think that's dino though. I lost my Monti cap and the galaxy Frag looks like poo.