My new 40 Breeder (transfer from Biocube)

slowwrx137

I dont really post much but I've decided to create a build thread for my newest project (40 breeder).

Equipment Includes:

40 breeder tank

29g tank (sump)

(2) Kessil 15k ocean blue LED's

(1) Kessil 10k sky blue LED

Vortech MP10

Neptune Apex controller

SWC 120 cone skimmer

Eheim Compact+ 3000 return pump

Bulk reef supply carbon/gfo reactor

JBJ ATO

JBJ macroglo fuge light

other misc stuff

Stock so far:

(2) clownfish

(1) yellow watchman goby

(2) firefish

(1) mandarin

Green bubble tip anemone

Various zoas

I started with a standard 40 breeder and 29g for a sump during the Petco $1 per gallon sale and started building a stand.

IMG_0583.jpg

I then had a corner overflow made and drilled the bottom left side of the tank.

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

After that I built a durso standpipe and plumbed my return loc-line.

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Then painted the back of the tanks and leak tested them.

IMG_0623.jpg

Once everything was good I added baffles to my sump and started working on finishing the stand.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

I'm really liking the kessil lights so far and like the mix of the 2 15k and the 1 10k, it has a blue tint but still shows some white (maybe 12k ish). The 2 15k lights would have probably been plenty but I couldn't really find many good example pictures when looking online so I figured I'd go with 3 and sell one if I didn't like it/need it.

Dang man 3 kessils is a lot of light! i have 1 and get amazing color! i love the set up!

Thanks, I'm glad you like the kessil, its reassuring.

where did you get the 40gal from??

Its just a standard Aqueon 40 breeder I got at petco during the $1 per gallon sale. (got it at the Round Rock store)

Looks great!

Thanks!

so you were able to drill it?? I bought one too when they had their sale and wanted to drill it but didnt know if I could.

Yeah, I didn't have any problems drilling it. It was pretty easy to do and didn't take very long.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Does yours have a sticker on the bottom saying it's tempered glass? Every tank I've gotten from there has said that.

Great looking setup btw!

You did a nice job on the stand. I like the form and color. Do the doors have some sort of mount so the come off completely, or did you hinge them?

Thanks, it took quite a while but came out better than I expected. I'll have to post a better picture of the stand but the doors are just screwed on with hinges.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Does yours have a sticker on the bottom saying it's tempered glass? Every tank I've gotten from there has said that.

Great looking setup btw!

Thanks, It didn't have a tempered sticker that I noticed. I just went by this pdf from Aqueon that shows which tanks have tempered bottoms: http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19784.pdf

• 4 weeks later...