FREE CORALS AND CLAMS, COME AND GET'EM

mojo

I'm moving over some of my livestock from my 30g cube to my new rimless aquarium. I say SOME, because I have corals and clams that have a little bit of bryopsis on them and I don't want to take any chance of contaminating my new tank. I don't want to kill them, so I'm offering them to anyone who wants them, for free. I have a tridacna gigas clam (very nice blue spots on mantle), a tridacna crocea clam (deep blue), pink zoanthids, and some frogspawn. If anyone wants them please send me a pm with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Mike

Most of you haven't seen me on here in months and for a good reason. One word: Bryopsis. I can assure you if you are starting a new tank and move ANYTHING from the old one, it is only a matter of time. Bryopsis is NOT Hair Alage. It is a low nutrient algae and NOTHING eats it all. If you bought something that "ate" it, you didn't have bryopsis. I consulted with Eric Borneman, every book I could find and all kinds of experts. I tried Scribbled Rabbitfish, Sea Hairs, Lettuce Slugs, you name it. Final solution. I had to turn the lights off on both tanks for over 4 months. I could have sold or given away many corals and a clam, but I didn't feel that would be ethical. This is the WORST challenge in reefkeeping I have ever dealt with. It smothered corals, took over every piece equipment, and you name it. I would take a powerhead out of the tank, let it sit for a few weeks, put it back only to have the algae pop right back up.

If you are starting a new tank, I would say start totally anew or you will regret it. Read about Bryopsis and you will see how easily it is spread. I just bit the bullet and ended up losing hundreds (probably thousands) of dollars of corals. All because of one rock I bought from a store that had some macroalgae I wanted (after it was in my tank one week I saw the bryopsis and pulled it out). It had already begun to spread by unseen methods. I had moved a few zoos from that tank a few days after I bought the macroalgae to my other tank. Guess what?

I am serious to all reefers, you DO NOT want to add these to your tank. If you have seen my tanks prior and you saw them today you would weep. You can go to reef central and read that this or that eats it. I assure you, real bryopsis is low nutrient and not palatable to herbivores. Therefore, you can do water changes until you are blue in the face and it doesn't matter. Low phosphates or low nitrates don't do anything to help. I basically turned off the lights and did no water changes for 3 to 4 months and finally the stuff dissapeared.

If you want to know more, feel free to email me!!

Lee

I have never had true bryopsis in any of my tanks, but I think Lee brings up a good point that it is often misidentified. If you read all the threads of people having success with different critters eating it you can easily tell that many different types of algea (hair algae is a good example) often get lumped into the bryopsis category.

I could have sold or given away many corals and a clam, but I didn't feel that would be ethical.

Lee, thanks for your comments and for emphasizing the troubles that accompany bryopsis. I do not, however, appreciate you insinuating that I'm doing something unethical by giving these things to other people. For everyone who has expressed interest, I have spoken at length with them to ensure that they fully understand both what bryopsis is, and the challenges associated with eradicating it. Many treatments have worked for tons of reefers out there, including lettuce nudibranchs, hyper-magnesium, and System ReefResh. I do not suggest that those strategies will work for everyone, only that options are available. I have provided full disclosure to everyone interested in taking these specimens, and they have expressed their full understanding of what they're getting themselves into. For them, the labor involved in removing the bryopsis, such as scraping the clam shells free of algae then prolonged close and careful observation, is worth it to them. Having said all of that, I feel that giving these specimens to others who are willing to fight it out is more ethical than smashing them with a sledgehammer or throwing them into the trash.

Lee, I'm sorry for your struggles with bryopsis (I battled it for 2 years before giving up) but I'm glad you ultimately won the fight.

Mike

p.s. All items have been claimed, thanks to everyone for your interest.

Edited by mojo

Mike,

No, I wasn't at all suggesting you were being unethical. If you were, you wouldn't have told people up front. Once you have and they take the corals then that is totally their decision. I am just saying that I assure people that the controls suggested on most forums don't work for bryopsis. I think that since you stated up front what was in the tank then you were doing just fine. If someone wants to take the rsik then that is their choice. However, that freebie better be worth everything in their tank if it brings bryopsis with it.

I was just hoping to inform people before they made the choice (and I have do doubt you did as well).

Oh, well, haven't posted in months and first one gets someone riled up. Back to lurking.

Lee

No problemo, Lee, and sorry if I came off a little harsh. I guess I get a little flamed when I feel my character has been threatened. Please do continue to contribute on the boards, as you obviously have a lot of excellent knowledge to share.

Mike

BTW the clam is doing well after a a good shell cleaning. I also took it knowing I was going to clean the shell and start Polyplabs reefresh. The polyplabs system is supposed to battle briopsys. I calculated the risk and took it.

The beauty of boards like this is we can all share opinions and knowledge, even if we don't agree. If we all said the same thing, this whole club would be pretty boring!

I think I've got little in my new tank. It's kind of strong and round. Must have come in on the live rock, but the ends look cut. I don't know what's eating it, but something is. Possibly the turbos. Don't cheap out on your clean-up crew.