Anemone ???

new55galSALT

looking for a nem....just lost my green condy right before the tank move loved it but my maroon clown was too rough on it would like to get a carpet or something for my maroon but would also trade my maroon for a nice nem for my misbar percula....let me know i live in austin near RCA but my number is 254-251-1331 shoot me a text i work from 9-6 sometimes later then that

I wouldn't do a carpet unless your tank is really setup for one. Definitely do some serious research before pursuing one of those. Assuming a haddoni, 4 - 6" sandbed without rock nearby, intense lighting, perfectly stable, and it should be established for about a year. Also, the carpets are extremely powerful compared to sabae, BTA, condi, and others, so it's quite possible that none of your fish including percs or ocellaris will survive them. I would probably lean towards a long tip instead of a carpet.

The natural, wild hosts of the oscellaris consist of: Heteractis magnifica (magnificent anemone), Stichodactyla gigantea, and Stichodactyla mertensii (the last 2 are species of carpet anemone). The wild hosts of percs are: Heteractis magnifica, Heteractis crispa (sebae), Stichodactyla gigantea.

So, a carpet would actually be a GOOD choice for you, as long as it is not a haddoni. Stichodactyla gigantea is most readily available, but is "expert only" due to high light requirements and venomous nature to humans.

If you're POSITIVE you have a misbar percula, and not a misbar oscellaris, a sebae is an easy good choice too.

The natural, wild hosts of the oscellaris consist of: Heteractis magnifica (magnificent anemone), Stichodactyla gigantea, and Stichodactyla mertensii (the last 2 are species of carpet anemone). The wild hosts of percs are: Heteractis magnifica, Heteractis crispa (sebae), Stichodactyla gigantea.

So, a carpet would actually be a GOOD choice for you, as long as it is not a haddoni. Stichodactyla gigantea is most readily available, but is "expert only" due to high light requirements and venomous nature to humans.

If you're POSITIVE you have a misbar percula, and not a misbar oscellaris, a sebae is an easy good choice too.

I believe the reason he was saying a carpet anemone would be bad is that even if your clowns love them they often eat other fish and critters in your tank. Mark (mcallahan) has some great videos showing exactly what happened with the carpet he had in his tank.

I don't disagree, my friends has chowed on 2 black baby oscellaris. However, it was because he had been feeding silversides that were about the same size as the babies, and he had unknowingly conditioned the anemone to consume fish that size...

Then again, I have another friend with 2 clowns and a carpet anemone with a diameter of close to 2 feet that has never touched a fish.

Plus, we've all seen Chris' picture of his RBTA annihilating his mandarin... every species of anemone is capable of eating fish, its an individual basis for sure.

I was assuming a haddoni would be most appropriate because of the size of the tank. Clarkii clowns would be perfect with any if he did go the carpet route. I've read several stories of gigantea obliterating percs. It definitely depends on the acclimation, the conditions, and the specific anemone and fish themselves. Regardless of what he chooses, I don't think a carpet anemone should be a hasty choice.

dang, I have a condy in my sump you can have. he went roaming around and **** near nuked my slimer...he got banished to my fuge...

i might try another condy trading in my maroon at rca today after i get off work at 3....i really enjoyed my green condy everyone who saw it said it looked like a hybrid between a condy and a long tent..but let me know if you still wanna get rid of it

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

my clowns dont seem to share very well so i am looking for a carpet able to host a black o clown... what i think is called a maxi mini would work as I've heard they get up to 6" let me know. 254-251-1331

I may be wrong but I don't think clowns host maxi minis