New sump build, advice on using Miracle Mud?

Jimbo662

Thanks to Grimm I've got a "new to me" 110g tank I'm going to convert to a sump. I've been doing some reading and watching videos about Miracle Mud. They're saying you don't need a skimmer when using the mud and that they've seen great results with their corals. Has anyone had any experience using it?

I believe that both Chad & Belinda and Mhart have run mud, and subsea knows quite a bit about it. Threads here:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/7976-fs-miracle-mud/page__hl__%2Bmiracle+%2Bmud

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/7762-refugium-sumps/page__hl__+miracle%20+mud#entry47856

I'm changing the name of your thread to include this as it seems to be the topic.

I run fiji mud. I did quite a bit of research and the figi mud was the only one based on my research that "might" be worth it. It think the idea of trying to run it without a skimmer isn't going to hold water, at least for a low nutrient or SPS dominant tank.

For LPS or softies, I think most tanks would be ok with a decent water change schedule and reasonable stocking. My LPS typically like it better when there are a lot of nutrients in the tank.

Go for it. Here's a 500 gallon system using Caribsea's mud product in a custom refugium that has a middle divider so is essentially a raceway 16" wide and 9' long. Actual diamensions of the sump is 32" W x 58" long and 18" high, the "mud" depth is 4" - 5" and the water depth is only abour 6" - 7". No skimmer is used on the system. After 5 years the phosphates have creeped up to about .14 so I'll be replacing a third of the mud for the first time in the near future. From my readings the secret to "mud" is the high iron content which is a micronutrient for algae and binds with phoshpate coupled with the benefits of Jauberts deep sand bed research. This system also has cryptic sumps promoted by Tyree's zonal system. See Delbeck and Sprungs discussions of various filtering methodologies in Vol III of their "Reef Aquarium" series.

Tim, could you get a video of the sump on that 500 gallon system or just some pics? I'd even settle for a drawing tongue.png

Bio3, I'll be happy to get you a video but it will be a week or so. I keep meaning to do a drawing in case somebody else has to work on it but it's fairly complex (can you say "job security" grin.png). There are 3 different sump tanks and technically 4 refugiums two lighted, two cryptic. There are two 3000 GPH system pumps, two overflows with two different drain lines going into different sumps so the refugiums only get half the flow (only one sump see's all 6000 gal.) with back up drain lines to handle the additional flow if a drain line starts to get clogged by worms and stuff.

Here's a video and description the 500 gallon I posted above with a Tyree Zonal system, sorry I took so long guys!. An axiom I heard along time ago is the more diverse an ecosystem the better it's stability. What I like about using lighted and cryptic refugiums is they do just that by creating habitats that allow for a wider range of species. However I by no means feel it is essential to set up a system with both lighted and cryptic refugiums. I am running systems without any external fitration. In my opinion methodology is irrelevant to success. Consistant maintenance (simple systems are easier), attention to your animals and patience are what is essential for success.

Here's a sumpless/filterless system based on Lee Chin Eng's approach.

Archived