what to do w meanwell driver

Mitch

I am wanting to learn what others have done with their meanwell drivers. Pics are a plus dribble.gif

I know I can simply solder the bare wires then heatshrink and keep things "exposed" per se, but I was thinking a nicer solution would be to place it inside a project box and make a clean interface using standard IEC power cord (think pc desktop power cord), rj45 for the dimmer controls, and cannabilize the cord + tip from an a/c adapter (i'm connecting to Ecoxotic Stunner strips).

One concern is how much heat do these things generate? The project box has a aluminum lid and I could easily drill ventilation holes as needed.

Thoughts & suggestions appreciated. TIA

I would not worry about vent holes if you just have one driver in a box. It does need to be tightly screwed/bolted to th aluminum box and I would not use a plastic housing. If the internal components are attached to heatsinks the heat sinks will be attached to the bottom/base of the drivers housing. I get DC power connectors here:

http://www.supercircuits.com/Connectors/FEMALE-POW

http://www.supercircuits.com/Connectors/YPOWER

http://www.supercircuits.com/Video-Cables/EXT-POW-25

And this website has misc. components that can be used to hook things up:

http://www.allelectronics.com

I'm guessing you already know this but if you put a connecter between the LEDs and the driver it must be connected before power is applied to the driver or there is a very good chance the driver will apply max voltage to the LEDs and burn them out.

I would not worry about vent holes if you just have one driver in a box. It does need to be tightly screwed/bolted to th aluminum box and I would not use a plastic housing. If the internal components are attached to heatsinks the heat sinks will be attached to the bottom/base of the drivers housing.

I cracked open the meanwell driver. There are some simple heatsinks inside, but it's the pcb which is directly screwed to the bottom part of it's housing. The clamshell housing doesn't have any vents and actually has gaskets along the outer edge creating a nice seal.

I'm guessing you already know this but if you put a connecter between the LEDs and the driver it must be connected before power is applied to the driver or there is a very good chance the driver will apply max voltage to the LEDs and burn them out.

My understanding is that without any applied voltage to the dimmer controls, then no DC output is made.

Thanks for reply Tim.

Mine are just loose in my cabinet, inside the factory boxes. Of course I also don't have any local pot control (I use an apex to control my dimming). IMO its just easier to keep them loose. But if you're a tinkerer, go for it :)

My understanding is that without any applied voltage to the dimmer controls, then no DC output is made.

Thanks for reply Tim.

Thats not necessarily true. The meanwell's shut off below 10% or 1Volt however, you will still see the dimly lit because the driver is unstable at low level(per meanwell). If you just cut the power you will get flashing, which is caused by the output filtering capacitors discharging. If running an Apex you can set the min intensity to 11% and then cut the power to eliminate the flashing.

Cheers,

Thats not necessarily true. The meanwell's shut off below 10% or 1Volt however, you will still see the dimly lit because the driver is unstable at low level(per meanwell). If you just cut the power you will get flashing, which is caused by the output filtering capacitors discharging. If running an Apex you can set the min intensity to 11% and then cut the power to eliminate the flashing.

Ahh!, that's why my Apollo Reef LEDs flash every once in a while. I'll tweak my programming. Thanks!

Archived