LED'S shocking me? (Literally)

brettc34

Putting my hand in the water is fine, but as soon as my arm touches my reef brite strip (that is attached to the front of my T5’s,) I get the jolt of a life time. It’s progressively gotten worse; at first it never did it at all, then after a few months I could feel a little shock, but thought it was do to heat off of the LED’s because it was more of a burning feeling. Just recently switched fixtures (still T5’s) and it seems to have gotten worse, faster then before too. Any ideas, or has anyone run into this problem before? Next step after this is calling them manufacturer and seeing if they have any insight I guess. Thanks in advance for the help.

You have something shorted into the tank. Most likely a heater. Your not properly grounded until you touch the metal grounded fixture. Get a volt meter and test the tank to ground while unplugging equipment. Be extremely careful. A fully grounded piece of equipment can easily kill a person.

• Like 1

You have something shorted into the tank. Most likely a heater. Your not properly grounded until you touch the metal grounded fixture. Get a volt meter and test the tank to ground while unplugging equipment. Be extremely careful. A fully grounded piece of equipment can easily kill a person.

Yea deffenitely calling the brother in-law then

Voltmeter for sure then. Test the fixture to ground. If you have a metal fixture, then you must use a grounded plug, with the ground connected to the metal fixture. Is this DIY? A commercial fixture that is metal without a grounded plug is breaking just about every electrical appliance code in existence.

Voltmeter for sure then. Test the fixture to ground. If you have a metal fixture, then you must use a grounded plug, with the ground connected to the metal fixture. Is this DIY? A commercial fixture that is metal without a grounded plug is breaking just about every electrical appliance code in existence.

The reef brite is a metal fixture with no ground prong from what I just now looked at. The DIY was attaching the LED strip to my T5 fixture

Sorry, posted the first from my phone. Don't touch anything at this point. Get your brother in-law and/or a voltage meter. 120V electricity is seriously underestimated in how dangerous it is if it passed through a human's heart.

If the tank has something shorted into it, and you have a fixture with a ground plug, you create a path to ground when you touch both the fixture and the water, which doesn't sound like the case. If the fixture has no grounding plug, and you are getting shocked, it is the fixture, unless something really crazy is going on, like multiple shorted equipment.

All right did it the old school way. Just unplugged things one at a time, and kept sticking my hand back in until I didn't get shocked. Turns out it was my uv sterilizer. Pulled it out of the tank, and now I can finally put my hand back in shock free!