Wavebox in a cube?

Entropy

I'm getting ready to fire up my nano WB on my 150G cube soon. Just gotta get the Apex back up and running first, will be working on that tomorrow actually and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Looks like James is still setting up if I viewed the correct build thread. I look forward to seeing how your setup turns out bimmerzs. It will probably take me awhile to find the funds anyway, so I have time to do a little research.

Wavebox will work fine on a cube. You will need a 6215 for that size tank.

The 6206 is rated from 39 up to 158g. In a cube I think that could be more than sufficient for a little over half the price of the 6215 (rated for 57 to 315g), but you'd probably want to test it to be sure.

I tried a Tunze Nano in my 100G cube, and was not happy with it at all. My dimensions were 36x37x18. The flow was great for one side, but I never could get it to be sufficient for the whole tank. I did end up trying two nanos which worked much better, but I still wasn't satisfied with the results. Even in a tank as shallow as mine was I still had a lot of dead spots for detritus to build up in. I ended up going with two MP40s and couldn't have been happier.

Wavebox's are not intended for flow. My nano worked exceptionally well on my 130G with a much smaller footprint. An inch wave should be sufficent in any tank. I will say it takes a bit longer to find the sweet spot, I actually use my Apex to control the wavebox and it was actually easier to find the wave than when using the tunze controller. YMMV

Cheers,

I was kinda of hoping to get away with the Nano to save room in the tank. I might be a little greedy since I have 36x36 but I like my space. I am running 3 Koralia 1400's and an older 1200 right now so the flow is pretty good but as someone mentioned somewhere the sand ends up getting pushed around in a few areas leaving exposed glass on the bottom. I was hoping to use two of the Koralias to move water around and the wavebox to move it back and forth all over. Maybe trying one to see what happens might be the best idea (thanks for the offer Richard).

They do take up a lot of room and they are difficult to conceal. That's really why its sitting on my shelf. During the build of my 225 I abandoned the idea of using a wavebox and decided to see what an array of vortech's can do and have been very happy with the result.

I spoke to Roger about this many times, and apparently you just need a LOT of patience and the newer Wavecontroller (or Apex, etc) to make it happen. Your rock work will definitely have an effect on it, as your arrangement will dictate where you can & cannot place the wavebox. You will want it in the center as much as possible in order to achieve anything across the entire tank. For me, it was easy to produce a pulsing motion when the box was in the corner, but it literally only effected one side of the tank - and even worse, only at the end, not even stretching to the center. I played with a 6212 for a whole weekend and never got close to achieving the desired result, it's much more difficult in the cube than a rectangle. It was quite frustrating, and I kept with my Vortechs (which I could easily produce a wave with). Hope that helps - the best advice I can give is to borrow some boxes and give it a try.

The nano box will not work (at least not to actual effect), though it's only 36" length and it falls into the advertised range of the product, the 36" width is just too much.

That was on of my main concerns. My tank is your pretty standard setp. 36x36 with a big overflow in the center back (figure 18x4). The only place I can really put the wave box where it will be aesthetically acceptable would be in the space between the overflow and the side walls (9x4 each side). I don't think putting it dead center on either side is going to fly. I suppose I could center it on the overflow but that would look kind of odd.

On the plus side I am not looking for a major wave or anything. I am more looking for back and forth movement. Out of all the Utube videos I have watched, I seem to prefer the ones that are set on the minimum setting with a slow gentle rocking motion.

ok so everyone says it wont work.....well lets see i had a 120G (48"x24"x25") 4 feet long 2 feet wide and 25" tall. I had a NANO wave box in the right corner facing forward to the front glass and it would make a 1-1.25" wave all day long. It really depends on the rock work. I now have a 60x30x27 and a big wave box in the corner facing the length of the tank and i can make about a 3" wave if need be. But honestly its terrifying to see 200Gs of water moving in a wave that big, i tuned it down to about 1.5"s