Pest Anemone?

austx

Picked this guy up as a hitch hiker a few days ago and was able to grab him and put him in the sump once I was able to locate him again. I "used" to stick to the motto "if in doubt throw it out," but wanted to see what the concensus was from my fellow arc members before he got tossed. I'm under the assumption it is a pest anemone and it looks very close to aiptasia in my opinion which is why I've been hunting for him since I spotted it. The photos are not as clear due to the iphone but the mouth has a bright orange/red ring with a dark purplish rim and speckled skirt. So lets hear your thoughts please and thank you.

post-2093-0-21863800-1339472634_thumb.jp post-2093-0-54809100-1339472667_thumb.jp

aiptasia for sure my tanks riddled with it get it out asap or find yourself some peppermint shrimp that have an appetite for it im still looking for a natural killer kinda leery of using aiptasia X hmm.png

Thanks for the help Bender I was pretty sure it was aiptasia when I spotted it the first time but wanted to get a few second opinions in the matter. Much appreciated.

I'm not so sure it's aiptasia. The form doesn't fit, too many tentacles and they are too short and striated, fluorescent ring around the mouth, and the coloration of the disk is not right either. It is most likely some form of pest nem, but before you trash it I would send those pics over to wetwebmedia.com and see if you can get some id help there.

I agree with Sherita. I also don't like the "if in doubt throw it out" philosophy. An axiom I've taken to heart is the more complex an ecosystem the more satble it is, the vast majority of stuff that shows up are either benign or beneficial. Heat, poor maintenance and impulsive or uninformed buying kills far more animals than the pests that show up.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help and insight everyone. I agree with you Tim, I should have phrased that better and said I previously used the throw it out philosophy as this was prior to my sump upgrade and I did not have another option at that point. Since I have this avialable now I have been able to quaruntine more and figure out the best course of action as I would rather put in the time to figure somthing out before I make an impulse decision in all aspects of the tank. Forgive me but those were the circumstances and now that they have changed I should have noted differently.