Anyone Want to Dive Oil Rigs June 16th?

My wife and our dive buddy have rescheduled our 3x oil rig dive trip out of Port Aransas on the 16th, after our trip two weeks ago was cancelled due to weather. There are still 3 spots open in the boat if anyone would like to join us:

http://outtoseaadventures.com/reservations.html

If you're interested, I'd be happy to post more details. When we dove the Texas Clipper, the rigs were a secondary, side trip. We didn't think we'd like the rig dives, but both of us actually liked the rigs better than the Clipper. The rigs are shallower (longer dive times), warmer, brighter and have more life than the Clipper. You can drift along the cross braces around 30-40' deep and see the tons of life living in and among the barnacles. Plus the schools of lookdowns, jacks, barracuda, etc.

What are the costs involved? Don't mean to hijack the thread

No problem. Do you mean for getting Open Water Diver certified or for this trip? I'll answer both. (Work has given me a headache anyway - I need a break.)

I did my Open Water in 1993, but my wife did hers at ScubaLand here in Austin last year. We both went all the way to PADI Master Diver with ScubaLand last year and are thinking about PADI Dive Master (I know, it's confusing). They are listing $175 for Open Water plus books (I think around $65, but not sure) and equipment. You can rent for fairly cheap or they give you a 10% student discount if you want to purchase.

WARNING: Scuba is a lot like reefing in that it's extremely enjoyable, addictive and drains money. If you have the cash, it's an outstanding hobby (especially if your significant other also dives), but it does cost a couple thousand $$$ for training and equipment (not all at once but over a year or two).

The boat ride is for 10 hours to 3 different oil rigs with 3 tanks of air provided (Nitrox extra) for $225/person. We got a room at the Super 8 hotel just on the other side of the ferry for about $112/night (taxes included), but our buddies have also camped nearby.

Cool, thanks for the info. The up front costs of certification don't seem that bad, and the dive trip cost isn't terrible either....I may do this sometime this year. My wife won't be interested, as she's terrified even when she's snorkeling. But you never know, maybe she'll come around to it.

You can also cut the costs by using rental eq. But I would recomened getting your own regulator ASAP the rest of the stuff dont go in your mouth lol altho the wetsuit err well never mind you get the idea.

My wife and I have been talking about getting certified as well. Diving the Barrier Reef on our honeymoon gave us the bug. Maybe we could do a club group training?

If everyone wants to do PADI (most widely recognized but some will say not the best/most "professional"), then Rob (owner) will most likely work with you on a group deal. Especially if ARC and ScubaLand develop a working relationship. There's a high correlation between reefers and divers (ignoring all possible puns/jokes there).

NAUI certification at Oakhill Scuba is an awesome deal to anyone looking to get certified! NAUI does free "e-learning" so you can take all of your quizzes online, at home versus standard in-class, on paper quizzes. This is great for busy people because you can finish at your own pace, at 10pm on a wednesday if you like. You only need 2 weekends of actual in the pool training, plus test out dives. The instructors there are amazing.

Plus they offer "combo" courses so you can get basic AND nitrox at the same time.

http://oakhillscuba.com/?page_id=28

There's still one spot open for this dive trip. Also, I need to do more dives every week when my wife isn't available to be my dive buddy, so if someone wants to dive Windy Point public or private or Mansfield Dam on just about any evening, PM or email me.