Sump / Bio Wheel Question

CBM5

I bought a used tank on eBay two months ago, I have had the tank up and running for one month. I am using the sump that came with the tank which includes filter / carbon trays as well as a Bio Wheel. My concern is I have been reading about the “Nitrate Factory” the Bio Wheel can create. Should I remove the Bio Wheel?

I could potentially just remove the Bio Wheel and continue to use the trays for the filters and activated carbon. The media trays and bio wheel are encapsulated in a separate unit from the sump so I could potentially remove trays and all.

Tank is a 90 Gallon Bow Front. I have a about 15lbs of live rock that I purchased from RCA and 90lbs of base rock that came with the tank assuming the base rock will eventually build up bacteria. I have 35lbs of Aragonite. My water levels are much better than the spike I had in the first two weeks. Current readings are Ammonia 0.3, Nitrate 3, Nitrites 0, PH 8.2.

post-2451-0-88530100-1338478561_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I would remove the bio-wheel. If you had a good nitrate export mechanism, the bio-wheel would not be an issue. Does the tank have a surface skimmer to feed the sump water from tank? If so, any cascade splasing would oxygenate the tank water. This is particularly important during lights out when pH and oxygen both decrease.

Patrick

Do you currently have any livestock in the tank?

I have a about 15lbs of live rock that I purchased from RCA and 90lbs of base rock that came with the tank assuming the base rock will eventually build up bacteria

I would remove the bio-wheel. If you had a good nitrate export mechanism, the bio-wheel would not be an issue. Does the tank have a surface skimmer to feed the sump water from tank? If so, any cascade splasing would oxygenate the tank water. This is particularly important during lights out when pH and oxygen both decrease. Patrick

I have a 1600GPH powerhead in the tank for circulation if that is what you are referring to.

I would remove the bio-wheel. If you had a good nitrate export mechanism, the bio-wheel would not be an issue. Does the tank have a surface skimmer to feed the sump water from tank? If so, any cascade splasing would oxygenate the tank water. This is particularly important during lights out when pH and oxygen both decrease. Patrick

I have a 1600GPH powerhead in the tank for circulation if that is what you are referring to.

The powerhad for in tank circulation should address low oxygen during night times. I am skimmerless, no protein skimmer, but I do recommend surface skimming to remove surface scum. Usually this is accomplished as the water source to the sump.

Patrick