White Inverts On Quarantine Tank Glass No Fish

nuxx

Do you guys have any idea what these are? Good/Bad?

I took the fish I had out of QT about 2 weeks ago and let the tank run. Today I noticed that there were these little white inverts all over the glass. The biggest are about the size of a pencil eraser head.

I was planning on doing a 50% water change this weekend and then QTing a purple tang in about a week or so. I didn't want to tear the QT tank down since there was going to be about a 1 month gap between it having fish in it.

post-2170-0-82982700-1336674628_thumb.jp

Yes, they are Scypha/Sycon/”Pineapple” Sponges (if they're not moving). They are harmless filter feeders.

ScyphaSyconSponges_LionFishLair.jpg

I was an idiot and killed mine off, but they are coming back now with a vengeance (I have pics but camera at home). I've seen conflicting opinions on whether they are a good omen of a balanced aquarium or bad omens for a DT with out-of-whack parameters.

• Like 1

I only had them in my poorly-filtered nano tank when I was first starting it up. I haven't seen them since in other tanks I've had... the 65-gallon and 125-gallon, for the past 7 years. I only see the standard sponges you see on the backs of liverock.

I only had them in my poorly-filtered nano tank when I was first starting it up. I haven't seen them since in other tanks I've had... the 65-gallon and 125-gallon, for the past 7 years. I only see the standard sponges you see on the backs of liverock.

Yeah, mine didn't come back until I started feeding heavier, smaller food for the clam and corals I got. When it was just pellets and flakes for the shrimp and fish, there was no "outbreak" of scypha. I think it's my tank's way of naturally compensating for my heavy feeding. smile.png

Thanks guys... I have a few a few little hermits in the tank, so I put a tiny bit of food in there. I guess I'll just completely stop putting anything in there until the purple tang comes.

Should I break the tank down, or just do a 50% water change and not worry about these little guys?

Also, just a HOB filter, no skimmer, power head and heater in that tank... so the filtration isn't that great...

they are harmless. I had a ton of them in my sump on my old setup. Key here is "filter feeder". Being in the sump seems like a good idea, they help "filter" lol. I never had a problem with them being in there.

I've got them in all my tanks. The smaller spirals are actually a species of filter feeding snail that grows fixed in place, they are also ubiquitus. I guess somebody could argue they are competing with corals/inverts for food but I don't see anyway of compleetly removing them since they can grow in every little nook or cranny. And someone could argue removing them would be a method of nutrient export but I wont go out of my way to do that.

I've got them in all my tanks. The smaller spirals are actually a species of filter feeding snail that grows fixed in place, they are also ubiquitus. I guess somebody could argue they are competing with corals/inverts for food but I don't see anyway of compleetly removing them since they can grow in every little nook or cranny. And someone could argue removing them would be a method of nutrient export but I wont go out of my way to do that.

Yes, I've got a ton of spirorbids in my tank, too.

SpirorbidWorms_LionFishLair.jpg

They make my black, back wall look like a starry sky.

Aquarium_RBTAandShrimp_29APR2012.jpg

They even grow on the slower critters smile.png

Aquarium_CerithWithHitchhikers_29APR2012.jpg

I've got them in all my tanks. The smaller spirals are actually a species of filter feeding snail that grows fixed in place, they are also ubiquitus. . .

Yes, I've got a ton of spirorbids in my tank, too.

SpirorbidWorms_LionFishLair.jpg

Thanks for the update! I've been thinking they were snails for about 15 years.