help with leds!

so i won the led kit at the raffle, installed them in the boicube and loved them! i just tryed gutting a marineland fixture and installing them in this for my new aquarium. they wont turn on at all now. one of the lights turns on a very dull white and barely emits much light at all. any ideas? any pros on here i could throw a few bucks n beers to come help me?

yeah im halfway through a case of coors banquet and about to throw this stuff away lol. i got my multimeter right here but have no idea where to even poke

I'd start with checking for shorts. Set you multimeter to conductivity, then put one probe on whatever the LEDs are mounted to, and the other probe on a positive and negative solder pad of each LED. If it beeps, you have conductivity which is bad, you'll have to figure out how and why the connection is being made from the LED to the mounting surface.

Next I'd set the multimeter to check voltage @ 20amps. Put the probes on the positive and negative leads coming out of the driver. Obviously the LED string needs to be powered. Is it giving you voltage? Depending on the driver, it should be anywhere between 12 and 24v. If you don't get voltage, you know that the problem lies with the driver or somewhere ahead of it.

If the driver is putting out voltage, put one probe on the positive side of your first LED, and the other probe on the negative side of your last LED. If this is good, the the connection between your driver and LEDs is good.

Next, use the multimeter in conductivity mode again, and this time test the connection from one LED to the next starting with your first one. If the connection from LED 1 to LED 2 goes positive then negative, our the probes on the positive of #1 and the other probe on the negative of #2. This will check if you have a good connection between the two. Test all the way down the string like this.

If all this seems ok, then use the Diode setting on the multimeter and check each LED. The diode symbol looks like a sideways triangle with a line next to it.

Sorry if my explanation seems elementary, I don't know how versed you are in this stuff.

kevin

Yes, this was a RapidLED solderless kit, so you should be able to avoid most of the typical LED soldering issues. I would contact RapidLED and see what they can tell you about troubleshooting the kit.

i got the rapid led kit and took apart the mrineland led fixture, the marineland was not as bright, i took the rapid led kit from the biocube and put it in the freshly gutted marineland fixture and now its less bright :P

kevin B you rock, ima get on my testing soon

so i took the multimeter to this thing. i have power coming from the driver, and there is 7 plugs soldered to the lil board or chip or whatever for the leds to hook up to. only 1 led on the board is showing it has power, it is the third plug in line, if this is the only one with power what could be my issue?

Do other LEDs light up when you plug them into number 3?

That would be a good way to test each led. Use conductivity mode to check for a short like I suggested before, and check conductivity between the driver positive or negative and the first and/or last led

Be sure to read the instructions that came with that kit. The power supply was to be used with all the LEDs jumpered together, trying to connect the supply to just one of the sets could overpower it and burn them out.

yeah i have it set up per the instructions, keeping the rapidled kit and the marineland set on the power sources they were intended for. each led will light up very dull when plugged into that one plug but they wont be bright and only work on the one plug

Archived