Tuxedo Urchin for Algae Control?

C Lo Slice

I had a Tuxedo Urchin as one of the original members of my tank when I started it about a year ago. I got rid of him because he was knocking over my frags and I got tired of sticking my arm in the tank every single day to put them back where I wanted them. As soon as he was gone I had a MASSIVE GHA outbreak that still has not subsided. I've tried Sea Hares, but it has proven to be only a temporary solution. My GHA struggles are well-documented here and a lot of you guys have given me invaluable advice, even offering to let me borrow equipment to see if it works (which I am greatly appreciative of). But I was wondering if the Tuxedo Urchin would munch on the GHA? I really don't have any frags for one to knock over anymore - that's how bad my GHA has gotten.

I'm not really looking for any alternative advice. While I do appreciate it, just trust me on this one - I've heard just about every solution out there. I don't really have the money for pricey reactors and media to go in them at this time. I simply want to know if anyone has had similar experiences with these Tuxedos as they have had with Sea Hares. Thanks in advance!

They'll go for hair algae. A long spine urchin would be better though. If your ant something pretty a radiata would be good. Rock boring urchins are good if it is on rocks.

radiatas are cool but be REALLY extra careful....long spines are pretty sweet too but they'll get big after awhile...if you have your frags glued down tuxedos are awesome (i really love my orange/black/white one)...they will pick up anything they want though as far as rubble and frags go though

yep...what i did was glue / epoxy your frags down then it doesnt matter...but when i FIRST had a tuxedo i was attempting a zoa garden (awhile back) and it failed and killed lots of my zoas by dropping them behind the rock work where i could not get it : /

Tell me about it... I lost a $90 Sunny D frag and a Purple Hornet frag that way. Of course, they both landed face down into the sand where I couldnt get to them without tearing the tank completely apart. Thats also where fish like to die. It's like the the elephant graveyard from Lion King.

• Like 1

I hated my tuxedo urchin... one of the few things I put into my tank that I sorely regretted. Luckily he was easy to remove and send along to another home. Aside from the picking up and rearranging my entire tank every week, he started munching on my corraline algae... that's when he got the boot from my tank.

For your GHA, have you tried voldka dosing? I just started doing it last night due to a different pest that I cant shake...From what Ive read, it works well for GHA. You would need a good skimmer though.

I did vodka dosing Caleb if you ever want to find the ins and outs of it, drop me a line. Yes, it is literally vodka being put into the tank but you'd really have to check to make sure your current skimmer can handle it. It's just adding a source of carbon for the bacteria to use as a food source while they uptake nitrate and phosphate. Obviously don't use flavored vodka unless you want your tankwater to taste cherry-flavored. It was a lot of work IMO, I remember daily dosings and spreadsheets tracking the dose.

Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley states on Reef Central:

Except for the initial pH drop, I would not assume switching to vodka will help the pH. Both end up entirely as CO2, which will lower pH equally. Vinegar just has more of the pH drop instantly, and less later. All of the vodka pH drop is later.

That said, for a crude equivalency, normal 5% acidity vinegar is 8 times less potent than is 80 proof vodka, so if you previously used 100 mL of vinegar, a full conversion would be roughly equivalent to 12.5 ml of vodka.

And here's a a couple of good articles.

Vodka Dosing - Why?

Vodka Dosing...Distilled!: A Powerful Method for the Reduction of Nitrates and Phosphates within the Reef Aquaria

Edit: It's the cheapest form of carbon dosing, if you don't have "losses" while using it ;)

If your going to use Vodka Aquadome set me up with http://www.redseafish.com/index.aspx?id=4225 Algae Management RED SEA NO3 it was 20 bucks for a big bottle...it was methanol

NO3:PO4-X Contains a unique complex of carbons that are used by nutrient-reducing bacteria. Each carbon is utilized by different strains of microorganisms while maintaining the specific Carbon: Nitrogen: Phosphorus ratio required for each stage. The complex includes other organic bonded elements that are important stimulators in each stage of the reduction process. These metal and non-metals elements ensure steady bacterial propagation and complete nitrate reduction to nitrogen gas and the absorption and utilization of phosphate by the bacteria.

The fine control of the nitrate and phosphate levels provided by monitored dosing of NO3:PO4-X guarantees the gradual changes and accurate maintenance of the nutrient levels, preventing destruction of the zooxanthellae population that can cause UV shock and starvation of the corals.

Unlike some other low-nutrient regimes, correct use of NO3:PO4-X will maintain all of the beneficial micro fauna.

NO3:PO4-X is also recommended as a complete carbon source for use with carbon based de-nitrators.

NO3:PO4-X, available in 500ml and 1000ml bottles, also includes a measuring cup for easy dosing.