LED build for my 75g

I thought I'd start a new thread since I'm into to build phase and out of the planning phase. Here's my latest pic of the LEDs mounted on the u channel aluminum. I placed the order today for the dimmable drivers and Typhon controller. In the meantime I'll start the wiring.

post-2217-13360749827_thumb.jpg

Thanks victoly, I'm very familiar with soldering, but not this many joints one one project, it should be fun for sure

looks great, will you let us know how well it disipates the heat? Im thinking about doing the same thing. How much did the channels cost?

Around $9 each for 44" lengths, custom cut. They are 1/8" thick and 1.5 x 1.5. I'll try to take some measurements on heat.

The home depot stuff I came across was too thin for my taste, 1/16" I think

Derrick I also think having air between the u channels will help a little. In addition, I doubt I'll be running at even 75% on most of the LEDs

Derrick I also think having air between the u channels will help a little. In addition, I doubt I'll be running at even 75% on most of the LEDs

I know with cooling materials its all about surface, amount of heat added per LED, and the grade of aluminum.

Ones at home depot and tsc are cheap. I tell you what though, I have actual heat sinks and 24LED get pretty dang hot. I had to put a fan on mine.

How big is your hear sink and how many leds on that sink?

I am running 38 LEDs per 6x20 heatsink (3 heatsinks over my 180g) and before I put fans on them they got hot enough that I couldn't hold it for more than 5 seconds. I have sense put 6 4" computer fans into the systems and they are cool to the touch...

• 1 month later...

So here's the latest, possibly final update for my light...I'll post photos in a couple of days.

So far my coral has been very responsive to the new lights. My mushrooms are growing like crazy, as are my zoos and palys. My blast seems to be growing a little faster, and my frogspawn and hammer corals are doing just fine. I added a small frag of birds nest sps about 4 inches below the waterline, it's been in the tank for a couple of weeks and is budding out like crazy.

I'm wondering if I need even more light though...I may eventually add a few more whites and a couple more blues.

Archived