Soft or not?

DerrickH

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well tank is set back up. New pump, ditched the MP40, got a full size wave box. Sun bleached the rock out for a while along with vinegar dipping it(100% vinegar). I changed my rockscape up so ended up with some left over rock, think I'll make rubble out of it and stick it in my sump. Filled the tank up, was really cloudy for days so drained it out and refilled it and crystal clear again. Added salt and a bottle of Dr Tims and let it run for a few days. I had a condy and some shrooms in a tank in my bedroom so put the condy in there (it looked pathetic in the small tank, tank was going through a cycle...) and its very happy now having some real light once again and better water. Was going to put the shrooms in there but the rock they were on has dino on it and Im not going to risk it. Should be able to put my corals back in the tank in a few weeks. Ive talked to multiple people that used the Dr Tims and all of them had their tanks cycle very fast. Going to be very picky on the fish I add so bio-load will be very low.

Well all my old corals except my milli are back in and happy. My welso is HUGE now! Couple additions from hydro and Mr Cobs as well. Hope this time it goes smooth. Any new corals will be dipped for sure. My old ones have been in QT for a couple weeks and showed no signs of dino on them! Woot woot!

So the concensus is that porting my skimmer to an outside source has completely cured my ph problem. Now that my corals are back in, the ph gradually was declining from 8.1 to 8.0 over the course of a few days. My calc test got ruined being in my garage heat so Im not sure where the CA level is. Will have to pick up another test kit. I did dose a tiny amount of calcium hydroxide and my ph jumped back up to 8.1 and has been holding solid. When I was dosing this CA before my green slimer really took off. Being in a "softie" tank for the last couple weeks it has browned out a bit but appears to be returning its color in just the last couple days.

Guess I need to get a heater....ph follows temp pretty good. I bumped the temp setting on in the apex and my chiller hasnt come on since.....I'd like to keep the temp more stable to help prevent the ph droops. I know my photo period has a lot to do with it but with warmer water my ph stays up even without the lights on.

post-1771-0-16200200-1340391829_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Archived