Dino

DerrickH

Since Ive been seeing a lot of posts about cyano and how it may be seasonal, Im also wondering about dino. I have this horrible pest in my DT now. I picked up some zoa frags and apparently they were on it. I didnt dip which I should have so now Im stuck with this stuff. Anyone had any luck getting rid of these things? Im thinking about taking all my corals out and having them babysat for a couple weeks and doing 2 weeks black out with no water changes. Fish should be fine but my corals would surely die/melt. Ive been peroxide dosing but its just not making a dent in it. I had cyano first, got rid of it, and now this slimy junk. From what Ive read dino may be seasonal as well, mostly popping up in the spring time.

When I had it, I siphoned as much out as I could each day and was running Carbon, and GFO changing weekly. I raised my pH and made sure it stayed there. I pulled out everything once and scrubbed it good once as well, but that was in the beginning. It all died off in about a month. DIdn't remove any corals nor lose any during this time.

Ok, thats another issue I have. From what Ive read, that water changes are a no no when having dino. Well I have a serious problem getting my ph up and KEEPING it up. I can dose baking soda or pickling lime and it spikes the ph but is WILL NOT stay up. When I say dose, I mean a lot!. Like 2 table spoons in a medium sized drinking glass filled with tank water and pouring it in over about a 30 minute span. I dont like raising ph that fast though. and regardless, the very next day its back down to 7.8 from 8.4....how the *ell do I keep the ph up? I dont have a C02 problem that Im aware of.

I had a similar problem. FWIW, I was dosing about a gallon of kalkwasser using Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley's recipe of 3 tsp pickling lime and 9 tsp of 5% vinegar every night. My calcium was maxing out my test kits, but my alkalinity, which should have been tracking with calcium, was low along with pH. After extensive reading, especially Randy's Low pH: Causes and Cures, I figured out it was high ammonia dragging down pH (probably from a sabae anemone that had disappeared in the rocks recently). The ammonia wasn't high enough to trigger my Seachem alert badges or make the test kits look menacing, but it was enough to lower my pH causing lower alkalinity. I added some Aquatic BioControl StartSmart (from Fishy Business) to handle the raised ammonia and continued with the kalkwasser top-offs. Eventually the ammonia cycled through (I guess) and the pH and alkalinity raised to where they should be. I didn't do anything else different, so I'm going with that as my anecdotal evidence and proof.

I'm still new, so there's a good chance I'm totally off base, but that is what I observed.

Ironic. I havent tested amo, or the n's since my cycle was complete. My bioload is very low as well. Ive been having snails die on me in the last few days so yesterday I decided to test everything I could. Low and behold amo was .5ppm. Ive plucked all the dead snails out. I think they were eating the dino and it was killing them. Then my hermits were canibalizing their shells. Im about ready to relocate all my corals and do a couple weeks black out! Im wondering, will this stuff eventually die out on its own like GHA/Cyano do? Grrrr! Cyano is a breeze compared to this menace!