Yet another skimmer question

dapettit

I sure this has already been addressed and if so please direct me to the link.

I am debating between an Octopus or ASM skimmer. I have a 150 gallon tank with a sump that can hold 30 gallons of water. I guessing in need a skimmer that will work on about 200 gallons. My question is:

What is the difference between a recirculating and a needle wheel? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

TIA,

Dave-

I like this explination from Wikipedia Whole entry

Recirculating Co-Current systems

Since a skimmer's effectiveness is by and large determined by its bubble count and dwell time, a recent trend is to change the method by which the skimmer is fed 'dirty' water from the aquarium as a means to increase this time. Typically, a skimmer has one inlet: the pump that pulls water in from the aquarium and injects it with air is the only way into the skimmer, releasing the mix into the reaction chamber. With a recirculating design, the one inlet (the 'feed') receives the dirty water to process, while the pump driving the air into the reaction chamber is set up separately in a closed loop on the side of the skimmer: it simply pulls water out of the skimmer and blasts it back injected with air--thus 'recirculating' it. The feed in a recirculating design typically injects a smaller amount of dirty water than co/counter-current designs. Where a typical skimmer may inject around 800 gallons per hour (GPH) into the skimmer, a recirculating skimmer would inject 200 GPH. The dirty feed can come directly from a tank overflow by gravity feed or via a small separate pump.

The effect of this decrease in dirty water injection into the skimmer effectively increases the dwell time--each unit of water is exposed to more air for longer, giving the proteins a longer opportunity to polarize.