going collecting tonight

(Bio)³

Me and a buddy are down at the coast with my dad to play with the new boat during the day, and shrimp collection at night.

I plan to bring back peppermint shrimp and hermit crabs. If I see anything else special like seahorses or pipe fish I plan to grab those also. Going to also bring back ulva to feed the critters. If anyone is interested in shrimp or crabs I'll be bringing them back to Austin tomorrow night, since I live in North Austin I can meet people along the way.

Peppermint Shrimp are serious predators in the food chain of refugiums. If you bring them in to soon, they can prevent a healthy amphipod population. For Aptasia removal, I always use them, but not as a refugium detrivore.

Patrick

Hmm it could be. Can't see a good pic on my phone but he is smaller than most of the shrimp. I'll be back tomorrow evening and I'll show him to you if you want to meet me. Still need my polyps anyways ;)

What did you use for collecting? What type of location? Not asking you to give your 'spot' away but interested in the technique and the geography.

Seine? Trawl? Trap?

My first marine tank was collected from the jetties in Galveston almost 40 years ago, but I collected on the jetties in the day time . When we went out at night, it was to gig flounder to eat. If you stay on the jetties, no problem. If you go seining in the flats at night, be careful of stingrays on the bottom. As a child, we used to vacation on the Gulf Coast near Grand Isle, La. At the same time that flounder are in the flats, so are stingrays. If you walk on them, you risk being barbed.

My jetty experiences have involved beer and attempts at catching edible fish or crabs. This would be a different trip for me.

Flats, I know to shuffle my feet. biggrin.png

I have much more experience using a rod and reel than I have trying to capture unharmed specimens for a display tank.

ughhh ya, I fell on the jetty in pureto rico and nearly broke my neck. The rocks were slippery and in an instant I was falling with my face heading directly for a huge rock with no way to catch myself. I was able to slip my hand in between the rock and my face just before impact. It hurt but I was so happy to be mostly unscathed I was actually excited about it.