Effects of Saltwater on Foundation?

C Lo Slice

Shortly after I started keeping a saltwater tank around this time last year, I read a thread on the consequences of improperly disposing saltwater. Of course, you don't want to dump it down a drain in the house due to rust. I was dumping my water change water out in the backyard until someone mentioned that it could kill the grass and whatever other plants were out there. Since then, I've been dumping my water over the fence into my neighbor's yard. That house has been under foreclosure since we moved here 13 months ago and the weeds are insane (I'm 6'3" and some weeds in that backyard are as tall as me). So I figured it would probably do some good to take care of the weeds close to my fence-line, which it has.

ANYWAYS...

Since foundations on homes need proper moisture levels, I was wondering if dumping my used saltwater might have any negative effects on the slab. The dogs have tamped down the grass along the house anyways with their trails, so I'm not worried about killing it. Just wondering if that would be a viable solution, and if anyone had any input. Lifting 6 gallons of saltwater over my head once, sometimes twice, a week is getting old.

Thanks in advance,

Caleb

I don't know anything about foundations, but if I remember correctly, sodium salt really doesn't move out of the soil, so be sure you never intend anything not salt tolerant to grow there. Most plants aren't.

I've been tossing saltwater out my front door for years and unfortunately I still have grass.

Who told you it's not ok to pour it down the drain? I'm quite sure your drains are PLASTIC. Unless your house is over 50 years old, you more than likely do not have cast iron soil pipe. Even then, it's not like you are pouring the water in the drains and moving out. Your lines are constantly being flushed clean with the water from your sinks, toilets, and showers. Unless it's just super convenient to drain your tnak through a window or door with a hose, recycle the water through your drains. It's also the responsible choice. By putting the water back into the system, it can be treated and put back into the drinking water.

• Like 3

I've been tossing saltwater out my front door for years and unfortunately I still have grass.

Who told you it's not ok to pour it down the drain? I'm quite sure your drains are PLASTIC. Unless your house is over 50 years old, you more than likely do not have cast iron soil pipe. Even then, it's not like you are pouring the water in the drains and moving out. Your lines are constantly being flushed clean with the water from your sinks, toilets, and showers. Unless it's just super convenient to drain your tnak through a window or door with a hose, recycle the water through your drains. It's also the responsible choice. By putting the water back into the system, it can be treated and put back into the drinking water.

+1

I dump about 75 gallons every 2 weeks down my drain, never worried about it. Like Mike said your putting freshwater in right behind it. I dumped it on some grass that I wanted to get rid of a couple times, it grew lol

For the foundation I don't think that your water change water would make any difference either way.

I wouldn't worry about it. You would have to have a lot of salt on your concrete for it to make any difference. Hopefully you sweep. Essentially you do note ant the salt crystals to build up on it. It makes the surface erode quickly.

Just don't dump your old salt water on your car or near it. I grew up in Corpus Christi and have seen my fair share of rusted out automobile frames. As my favorite saying goes, "When in doubt, rinse it out", meaning that if you're concerned about it, just spray it down with your garden hose.

I definitely wouldn't worry about it being in the ground soil by your foundation though.

I dumped mine in the front yard a couple times it killed my grass where I dumped. Since I have a sprinkler system I believe it was mainly from over watering but salt could of been a reason as well. It's still got brown sploches but slowly the grass is growing again.

Just to add to the conversation, it's not a good idea to put saline water into your soil, or your neighbors soil. It is really difficult to "flush" out sodium ions once they get into your dirt pervasively. Better to either put the stuff down your storm sewer or down a household drain where it would dilute with everyone else's wastewater.

• Like 1

That is a good question. I'm not a septic dude, but I would think that unless you have a really huge tank, that 100 gallons of saltwater per month is going to be pretty minimal compared to the total gallonage of the septic tank, in addition to all the other junk that gets put in there.