DIY TANK!!

sifuentes31

lol, I bet that was funny

I would put (2) 1" holes about 6" from each end and (2) 1/2" holes 6" farther in from the 1" hole. You want to put the 1/2" holes higher than the 1" holes. The reason for that is the 1/2" are for supply and when you turn your tank pump off it will sipohon back to the sump. I always drill a hole in the line loc where it goes in the bulkhead to break siphon, if you put the 1/2" hole too low it will sipon out lots of water. Hope that makes sense.

I'll measure mine and get back to you on the distance from the top. Are you putting overflow boxes over the holes or are you putting just a pvc 90 with slots cut in it (that's what I did but overflow boxes will look better, they are kinda pricey)?

Not sure yet exactly if i'll use overflow boxes. One of the guys here, can't remember the thread, built a tank and made his own overflow out of glass. I have plenty of glass.....I really need to see a tank with the holes already drilled out (just to get a better understanding). So i guess the return will go over the tank? I was thinking making holes for that as well because i didn't want the pipeing over the eurobraces. Just looks better IMO.

No for sure drill the tank for the over flows, I'm sorry I said over flow boxes but I actually meant overflow covers for the inside of the tank. I would just drill the back glass and not drill the bottom because you will have to make a much larger cover. I don't think you can make the cover out of glass because you need to have cuts in it to act as a strainer, if not you could have fish in the sump often. However I have a diamond tip wet saw that I know will cut glass, I'm not sure but it might could be used to notch the glass. I've been wondering if I could cut 1/4" glass withoug breaking it. Its setup in my garage because I just got though putting in a glass tile backsplash. I'll take a piece home and check it out tonight.

Check out my 300 build and look at th holes, that is what I was suggesting. I would have the supply come in towards the middle (not in the middle necessarily) and have the overflows out towards the sides so that you will have better circulation.

OOOOOHHHH!! I GOT YOU!!! Yeah i see where your coming from. Sounds like a plan Stan!! Acrylic for the inside for sure. I can get some pieces from work so not a problem and punch the notches out on our turret punch. Clean cuts. Can't wait to see your buisiness later this month. Hopefully i'll have some extra cash to buy things...

• 2 months later...

yall mare making me wanna build another tank just cause. Make sure u buy a top grade silicone. Dow Corning 732 (clear) or i think 734 (black), you will have to check on the # for the black but the clear is defntly #732

Any other brands known to work for silicone? Lowes doesn't carry Dow.

I used the GE silcone 1 on my sump that i made. It doesn't have the mildew resistant liquid found in the GE 2. You have to read the label carefully. My sump came out great with no leaks and the silicone was cheap. Oh yeah i bought it at Lowes.

post-2319-0-27123600-1344375520_thumb.jppost-2319-0-95873400-1344375552_thumb.jppost-2319-0-65246500-1344375578_thumb.jppost-2319-0-56248100-1344375606_thumb.jp

So this is my sump that i made at home using the glass i got for free. It was fairly easy. Just made two baffles in it for a simple sump and it works great under my 55gl. It was originally a 20gl that had two cracked panels but i replaced them and then added the baffles. Not bad for my first time. I just laid a bead of silicone on the glass about 1/8 thick and placed the new panels on it. I took my time with it and after it had dried i ran another bead inbetween both panels and ran a wet finger to smooth out the silicone. The key is to lubricate your finger so that it smooths out the silicone and leave a smooth edge. Another little trick was to place tape (the green tape) near the area you want to silicone so that once you have smoothed the silicone you pull the tape while the silicone is still fresh (wet) and you'll have a clean edge.

Again i'm working too much to work on my big tank. Hopefully it will slow down in the winter and i'll try to finish this little project. wave.gif

• 1 year later...

So after a long time of doing nothing to the tank i finally had enough and finished putting it together this weekend. I had all the panels precut and had drilled the holes using a 2=3/4" holes and 3=1". The stand still needs alot of work but it's mostly just skinning and i can do that as time allows. For now the main thing was to finish the tank. With the help of my wife we put it together. I still have to go back and clean out the silicone excess but all in all it went together nicely. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't leak. Still need to eurobrace the top but i'm going to order the glass from Binswinger so that it's straight and true. I FINALLY PUT IT TOGETHER BRIAN!!!!! HA!!!!!

post-2319-0-72671300-1376331680_thumb.jppost-2319-0-01041900-1376331706_thumb.jp

post-2319-0-12561200-1376331839_thumb.jppost-2319-0-45674300-1376331876_thumb.jp

post-2319-0-03178400-1376332149_thumb.jppost-2319-0-38904200-1376332176_thumb.jp

You sure did. Now fill it up and lets get the tank build thread going! I'm jealous though. Wish I could build me some free tanks. Free is always approved in my house...even if I pre-pay in full first then say I got it for free :)

• 2 weeks later...

Already cleaned the excess silicone off. didn't take long to do it. Yeah i peeled the tape before it stuck and yes i'm leaving the corner angles. I'm placing my order for the eurobrace next week using 3/8 glass all around. I was thinking 3" wide all around the top. I've done several of the little tanks and all have held water fine. But this one is really big so i'm taking my time with it. It looks really good so far....No updated picks yet. I'm going to make the internal overflow this week end at my work. Should come out good since i'll be cutting it using a turret punch.

• 4 weeks later...

So Sunday i sealed the inside edges of the tank and let it dry for two days. I cleaned up the excess silicone and started filling with water. Looks like no leaks and i'm getting excited . Only filled it up 3/4 of the way because of the holes for the overflow. Haven't installed that yet. I wanted to make sure the seals held before i installed the Eurobrace. Really didn't want to pull everything off if there was a leak.......Everything looks good so far though..WooHoo!!

post-2319-0-48785100-1379503687_thumb.jp

The overflow is acrylic that i got from work. I punched it out using our turret punch but havnt glued it together yet. Going to be busy this weekend but the tank is still holding water and i have two pumps to move the water around a little. Everything is still looking good on the build....

Archived