150g

Entropy

Finally got around to taking a few pictures of my 150g.

150g_004.JPG150g_008.JPG

I swapped everything over from my 58g and it basically disappeared in the new tank. I am on a poor mans budget for the most part so I don't have a ton of fancy equipment, but I hope to add as I go.

Specs:

36x36x27 1/2 inch standard glass, 2x 1" drains, 1x 1" return

Quiet One 3000 return pump. It is very quiet and I guestimate pushes about 400gph through the sump.

Koralia 1400, Koralia 4

200w heater

Reef Keeper II controller

Octopus 150 recirculating skimmer

30 gallon sump

150g_012.JPG

Here is the stand in place. I had to build this stand to replace the nice steel stand that would not fit though my front door. You can also see my old 58g that is now empty in the garage. I need to get around to selling it soon. :)

150g_011.JPG

Surprisingly (at least for me) the stand was pretty darn level right from the get go. The bubble was centered in both directions. I have never had that happen before. Guess that is one of the perks of a new house sitting on ground that doesn't move. I removed the carpet so it is sitting on concrete.

150g_005.JPG

All the critters survived. Some did better than others. The clowns were very happy right from the start. Everything else was not so happy. My urchin shed all of his needles. Figured is was a gonner, but they are now growing back. My long nose hawkfish really took it hard, but after five days I guess he got over it because he is eating fine and swimming around like normal again. It was nice not to lose anything from the original crew. I did lose one out of two firefish I added though. That was probably too soon, but a caved into peer pressure from the other members of the family.

Thanks Chris. I deleted the bookshelves and used the doors to plug the holes. Came out nice I think. I reused the plumbing you had and I have to admit I have never used a gate valve on a drain before. Honestly I thought you might be a bit crazy, but darn if it doesn't work great and with the other drain as an emergency there is little to worry about. I have never had a tank this quiet.

Edited by Entropy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with 30 pounds of aragonite. It comes out to about an inch or so. I found a couple of bags of larger grain size so the four Koralias (x3 1400, and x1 older #4) don't make a storm. I think I finally have them worked out so the flow is good, but doesn't push the sand around. Everything is doing pretty well. I will shoot some pics this week. Thanks for the kind words. I think is my favorite tank since I started.

Good to hear Rich. I have debated putting the bag of sand that I have into my fuge, but I'm not sure that the stand could hold the additional weight. Fuge is doing well without though, so I'm not sure I need to mess with it.

• 2 months later...

A few updates. I cannot believe my tank is five months old already. Someone asked me a this week and I said "about three months". Time flies I guess. Anyhoo...

Full tank shot from the front

08082012_002.jpg

Front (from the left)

08082012_003.jpg

New frogspawn (thanks Ian)

08082012_004.jpg

Red Tang Heaven on a nori clip (with some nori). No luck from my Naso, but it has only been an hour or two and there are other issues with my tang now. :(

08082012_005.jpg

Edited by Entropy

Thanks Ian. It is coming along slowly, but I am in no rush. I am planning on another 50 pounds of dry rock for the back left corner which will fill in that side and then I should be good to fill the tank with coral. I didn't realize how purple my rocks where until I added the new dry rock. :)

Well I think that might have been my secret. I was running the tank FOWLR for years under low lighting so the purple had zero competition. I only ran the halide for a couple of hours a day and the rest was PC's. It will be interesting to see what happens now that I am running the Halide/pc's for much longer duration. I get the feeling the purple will recede up top.