Tank repair

jaggedfire

Hello all,

I recently picked up a large glass tank from fellow ARC member and the bottom panel of glass didn't make the trip home. The thickness is 1/2-5/8 in. thick, not sure how this actually cracked as it was padded on a sheet of soft plywood.

Anyone with experience in cost of glass panels? Vendors? Options?

I am hoping this wont run over the budget or else I will have to forfeit my plans until we move.

Thanks in advance.

Derrick,

I did a user search and couldn't find anyone. What do they go by on the forums?

Thanks!

Stephen is Hydro Innovations, you can also check with Prof of Epic Reef (did that name change yet?!?)

I work for Hydro Innovations. I think he got his glass from Binswanger they are the cheapest in town.

If you decide to forfeit and don't want that tank taking up space let me know and I'll come get it. It looked like a very fun project to do and I love those things for the weekends.

Chris

lol derrick

I actually wrote you a note in the thread where you got the tank offering some advice since I just got finished rebuilding a tank that same size. Sorry to hear the glass broke, replacement panels aren't cheap. I would try binswanger glass and I'm sure 1/2" would be plenty thick for a tank that size, non-tempered. I think that its going to cost you $100-$150 for the bottom glass.

You can use a plywood bottom but its actually expensive to do this too. A sheet of cabniet grade 3/4" plywood is $50, $30 for the cheap stuff. Then you need non toxic epoxy and you can't buy just a little bit, cheapest I found is pond armour and it $85 for 1.5 qts. If you wanted to router a groove where the glass goes in then you need a router and a 1/2" $15 router bit. It becomes not worth it considering also that the wood requires 3 applications of the epoxy to hold water.

The reason that I know this is because I'm rebuilding a 250 gallon that had a broken bottom. I have looked at it every direction trying to make it cheaper and its just not possible. I almost did the plywood bottom but instead I finally found a piece of glass reasonable enough to use instead. Glass is waaaaay easier to work with and I just have more confidence in it, less ghetto too.