PC LIGHTING FOR ANEMONE?

sifuentes31

Ok NOW i'm having a bad cyano breakout AGAIN!!!!!! So is it safe to leave the Anemone in the tank or do i put him in my other coral tank. I want to put it in my 8 gallon tank. Trying to make a Zoo garden in there. I'm just asking because i have to do the 3 days of darkness. Maybe longer. I did it two weeks ago and about 75% of it went away but it came back with a vengence....Also any I ideas on how to get rid of it?? I've been doing 50% water change everyweek. Like i said it worked the last time but now it came back. Here is an old pic of it.....I'll take any and all advice!!!!!

post-2319-0-61896800-1334147547_thumb.jp

Usually this is an indication of the bulb degradation/old bulbs. How old is the lighting? Also what are you using to top off the tank? How often do you feed? How long is you lighting/photo period? Water flow could be and issue as well. We need to find the cause to come up with the cure.

They are a lot of factors that can cause a cyano break out.

Dave-

THAT'S WHAT IT IS!! Its the lights, i'm using old bulbs because my new bulbs still haven't come in. I might have to go out and buy them here i guess. thumbsdown.gif Just spent $80 online for them.....So will the Anemone be ok in darkness or should i move it? And to answer the other questions. Ro/DI water for top off, feed twice a day just enough for the fish to eat everything in less than a minute (faster than that actually), Light period about 8-9 hours a day, i cut back since i last had the breakout, and yes flow probably is an issue. I'm hopeing to buy a few power heads this weekend. I have one in there right now which flows 250 gph and i'm going to get another one or two.

Honestly, Cyano isn't a huge deal besides being extra ugly. Don't freak out. I would siphon the cyano off of the sand using extra air hosing. Then, take a hard look at what youre feeding your tank: cyano usually means phosphates are through the roof. Make sure some of the food isnt sinking into a corner because the fish don't see it. Liquid foods can be a huge problem as well because there is so much excess added. Always remove any excess after feedings, and use high quality food that is low in phosphates. Also try using a phosban reactor or something along those lines to try to starve the cyano. Other studies have shown higher alkalinites help, but those studies are not 100% conclusive. Trying to be more proactive about water changes is also a great idea: aim for 20% a week. This removes any extra nutrients that may be in solution in the water column.

+1 on that phosban reactor. I'm going to have to either make one or buy one. I know my phosphates are probably high, but i really don't feed them that much and as far as i can see they eat almost all the pellets....Flow and lighting are probably the main factors here.

As for the anemone, it will probably be fine, think about in nature when it is overcast or thunderstorming: they receive little light then. Although I wouldn't suggest drastically cutting back on a light cycle all at once unless it is for the very short term, like mframe suggested. If you plan on reducing your light cycle to something like 5 hours a day for a while, slowly take it down. The 2 downsides of cutting back on the lights would be that the anemone may think it is in a spot that is simply not receiving light, causing it to wander out and try to find some: watch for SPS in its path. Also, if it closes completely don't be alarmed...anemones are pretty temperamental. However, if it is always closed, it may not be getting the proper nutrients (remember they are animals and need to be fed! Although usually the clowns hosting it will feed it, or they simply catch passing particles) because it cannot catch them. It should be completely fine for the 3 days as suggested though!

Cut back lighting, cut back food, and make sure to do a large water change immediately after the 3 days of darkness. Something has to be feeding it (light and or food)

All the advice here is good. Try them all and keep notes. This way you how to knock it out should it happen again.

Yep bulbs are usually culprit.

What are your phosphates at? I know it's a pita but can you post results from water tests. I also have a coulpe of power heads you can use until you get some more. If you go with a reactor, I use 2 little fishes, I have some GFO too. JLMK.

I had the same issue in my DT - I cut back to feeding every other day seemd to make it go away.

Yes Sir always good advice here!! I'm going to try everything posted here and thanks for the loan of the power heads but i'll get them friday morning. It's been bad this long a day or two won't hurt it. As for my corals right now i have them in my small tank and they are all open and looking great. Just might leave them there till everything goes back to normal. Don't have a phosphate tester yet but will get one soon. The two lil fishies reactor is a great buy and might get two, one for GFO and the other carbon. I have a Rena XP2 which works great but looking to replace it with a refugium Very Very soon. Just need to cut glass for the baffles for a 20 gallon i got from ClarkiCircus....I'll just keep an eye on the Anemone. If he looks P.O.'d i'll place in the small tank for a week and hand feed him in there.

Edited by sifuentes31

I mean, even if the anemone looks po'd chances are he's doing ok...anemoens are so so fickle haha. May not be worth the stress (for both of you) of getting him off the rock and moving him. Especially if there are any SPS in the tank you would put him in. Displaced anemones move like crazy. As long as you only put the tank in darkness for a short time, he will be just fine, even if he doesnt open to feed for a few days. much longer than a week and he may start to go south though. Good luck!!!

Thanks guys yeah just going to do the 3 day of darkness. this is already the second day and i noticed this morning alot of it dissappearing. tomorrow night i'm going to scrape the back wall, scrub the one rock that is covered in it again, and throw some of the top sand away. Gona bite the bullet and buy the bulbs and just hold on to the others when they come in. At least i'll have a two year supply of bulbs on the ready. I'll keep everybody posted. Thanks again Guys....

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my bulbs and the light difference is amazing. I'm going to do a huge water change this saturday. Lots of the Cyano is gone though. My tank looks alot better now. The Anemone looks like he's moving higher on the rock now also which is better than under a rock. Thanks everyone for the great advice....

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Condi last night from RCA . So far so good. It's attached itself on the rock and is fully opened with no shriveling and full tentacle extension. How long should i wait to feed it? Another day or two?