BioCube light not working!

jbharlan91

We have a biocube, 29 gallon, and the light won't come on. It's the main light, not the actinic. We switched the lightbulb, still doesn't work. Both fans still come on, and the blue light comes on. We went to RCA and got a new power cord, still doesn't work. The end of the lightbulb, where you plug it in, will look like it's trying to light up and turn pinkish yellow, but the rest of the lightbulb won't light. Has anyone had this problem, or know how to fix it??? Thanks!!

When one of my BC's did this I swapped the ballast and found I had a bad ballast. I'm assuming you bought a new one at RCA when you said power cord. Perhaps the bulb is bad? If not there is a capacitor built inside the hood that could have failed.

I gutted one BC and still have all the guts, Posted it in the for sale section awhile back and never re-bumped the thread. http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/20955-biocube-29-hood-guts/ if you are interested.

Yes, looked up the parts online and we replaced the ballast. I thought the ballast was the piece that the bulb plugs into, guess not. We switched out the ballast, and the bulb, and no luck. It's obviously getting power, and both fans come on. The weird thing is that the bulb looks like it is trying to come on, at the end where it plugs in it will start to light up and turns a weird yellowish pink, and it heats up. It just won't light up all the way. Can the capacitor be replaced?

Hmm...not sure if this is getting beyond my abilites or not. I have a soldering iron, but haven't soldered anything but stained glass. Not sure if it's too big for little wires like that. I'd love to try to fix it though, I'm worried that my mushrooms and anemone will get upset fast without their light. What guts would you recommend trying?

@victoly - I've replaced the ballast with a new one from RCA. I've replaced the bulb. That's all I can find that I can actually replace without cutting wires. I checked both fans, both fans are working. The light is getting power, because it starts to light up at the end near the plug, but it just turns an odd shade of yellowish pink, like maybe it's overheating, and the rest of the length of the bulb never lights up, and it doesn't put out any light. The blue light still works fine.

I do have a little time now to figure it out, a friend is letting me borrow a spare light that sits over the top of the aquarium. So we have that installed for the time being.

Take your hood apart and locate the metal spool/block inside it is your capacitor. Cut it out and install another one. It sounds like the issue, you need to dump a lot of electricity in the start up to fully fire the bulb. Without that it won't have the ability to get everything up and running. Easy fix about 40 min tops including learning curve. While your at it depending what guts you have you might also add in a second set of bulbs giving 72 total watts instead of your current 36. Just an option

• 1 year later...